Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
1) Underexposed?
2hgha41.jpg

2) Overexposed?
zv76u8.jpg

3)
2dch5yt.jpg
*The wind was moving it.

4)
2h3albq.jpg

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
1) Underexposed?
2hgha41.jpg
Yes.
2) Overexposed?
zv76u8.jpg
Yes, it's over exposed. Are you asking which we prefer? I'd prefer a properly exposed image.
3)
2dch5yt.jpg

*The wind was moving it.
You shot this at 1/3200 of a second. This is should be fast enough to negate any effects of the wind.
You also shot this at f/1.8, I would have stopped down to increase depth of field.
Therefore your dependant setting here is ISO, which must be raised to compensate.

I'd be focusing on shooting more interesting subjects, with a definite point(s) of interest that can grab and hold a viewer's attention.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I would have taken pictures of something more interesting. I get that some phtoographers - especially those just starting out - seem to home in on flowers and plants as photographic subjects... but they're generally really boring.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
I would have taken pictures of something more interesting. I get that some phtoographers - especially those just starting out - seem to home in on flowers and plants as photographic subjects... but they're generally really boring.

I think technique and using fundamentals such as balance, simplicity and framing as well as looking for shapes and lines are whats important for new photographers. The subject itself shouldn't be so important so early on.

OP, if you are concerned about your exposures, use aperture priority and shutter priority modes to get an idea on what the camera sees as a properly exposed image. Your histogram will identify if there are over/under exposed areas. You can then use this information to setup your manual mode correctly, resulting in you properly exposing on your own.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
#1 - I'm not sure that this one is underexposed. Do you see any clipping in the shadows with your editing application/RAW converter? Different monitors are going to see this image differently. I'd think you could lighten it up a touch without losing anything.

Update: Looking at this again my calibrated monitor (instead of the laptop). #1 is indeed a bit dark, and #2 is a bit light, but not too bad to my eyes.
#3 - I don't see any unsharpness due to motion (i.e. wind in this case). It just seems a bit soft, even where I'd expect to see sharpness at the point of focus. Were you very close to this? Perhaps too close? It certainly seems that the lense was not able to properly focus on this. One of the ugly truths of photography is that sometimes your lense is not sharp. Especially when it's wide open or closed down. Traditionally, the 'sweet' spot is about 3 stops open from your smallest aperture (biggest f/stop#). Or is that 3 stops closed from wide open? I always forget. The point is that the apertures at the extreme ranges are likely as sharp. And the degree of unsharpness may change on your focusing distance. One easy way to check lense sharpness is to tack some newspaper pages on a wall. Put the camera on tripod, and using a remote release shoot the pages wide open, closed down, and in the middle (proper exposure for each, don't change the ISO as this can change the apparent sharpness). Examine closely, especially in the corners. I will occasionally put all my lenses through this test, to have a record, and to check them for extreme issues. It is normal to find some unsharpness in the corners at some apertures.

Don't know how much advice you are looking for.... but I'll offer it anyway. Compositionally, I'm not sure why you are taking these photos. And for me that's a bit of an issue. Before you shoot, ask yourself why you are taking the photo - and then answer that question. There is nothing wrong with taking these types of photos, but I don't think you are getting what you are wanting. Not yet.

For #3, I would have tried closing the aperture down slightly to increase sharpness, but not too much. I like the softness. I would have put the bud off-centre, and let the branch form a leading line. Read up on rule of thirds. And then toss that rule aside on a frequent basis, as needed.

Finally, I for #3 I would have wanted to see a much darker blue sky. For me this image could be about the colour. But that wimpy blue sky doesn't do the reds any favours. Find a really nice dark blue sky, and that bud will just pop.

Waloshin: To answer your question "what would I have done?". For #3 you have my answer above. I wouldn't have taken the other photos. At least not until I had a good answer to "Why am I taking this photo?"

Luck.

Last edited:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Are you more upset at beginners taking pictures of these subjects or posting them? Everyone has to start somewhere.

As for Wally, if you have to ask what is wrong with the shot that should be a clue that you need to do something differently.

Grey Beard

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2005
The Antipodes.
Wally,
Reviewing your pictures and what would I have done, after due consideration I do believe you should have left the lens cap on.

KGB:(

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
These last few posts highlight two important lessons for beginning photographers:

1) Only show your best work. Unless you're asking something specific about a specific photograph, generally the more strict you are about culling your own "keepers" the better eye you will have for your own photos. Don't just post a bunch of random stuff and ask what would have worked better, post the one or two shots you think are the best of the best, and solicit constructive critiques on those.

2) You should start developing your own vision. Along with the previously mentioned "why am I taking this shot" you should also be asking, "who am I shooting for?". Are you shooting for yourself as a hobby? Shooting to garner compliments from strangers? Shooting for clients as a job? For what? If you are shooting for yourself, does it matter in the long run what we would have done, or what we would have changed? These are your photos, and your vision. It's okay to get input, but do not become reliant on the input of others. Everybody's taste is different and there are no universal answers. One guy will say "reduce the DoF it is too much" and another will say "stop down to get more in focus". You have to develop your own vision, and shoot for that goal- not someone else's.

Asking open-ended questions ("is it good?") about your pictures is an inefficient way to get useful feedback, and ultimately not very helpful in improving your skills. It would be better to reduce the number of shots shown per post, and lead the discussion with very specific points. For example "I was looking to capture the glowing beams of light shining through the trees. Do you think it works?" or "I'm not happy with the way this flower looks- I can't get the tonality right". See here you would have already thought about your own vision, why you're taking that shot and what you hope to accomplish with it- and are asking a specific question of how to realize that vision. You will likely get more constructive and more pointed feedback if you limit the discussion to one or two photos, and bring up specific points you want to correct.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.