Telling iTunes to reorganize

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Howard Brazee, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Howard Brazee macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

I have iTunes copy my music to its library. I burned some of my CDs to iTunes at both work and home. I'm at work right now with my XP machine, but suspect the same issue may have happened at home on my Mac.

The albums I read went into the directory:
    Tunes Music\Compilations\Atlantic Rhythm & Blues_ 1947-1974 [Disc

I have multiple albums, and named them with a longer name such as:
    Atlantic Rhythm & Blues, 1947-1974 [Disc 1: 1947-1952

When I noticed these all went into the same folder, I changed the album names to be smaller:
    Atlantic Rhythm & Blues, Vol. 1: 1947-1952

But my songs didn't move. Is there a way to tell iTunes that I have a new album name, please reorganize?

(I thought it did that automatically, but didn't this time - I even stopped and restarted iTunes).

2. devburke Guest

That's weird, it should do it automatically. Try File > Library > Consolidate Library...

3. Howard Brazee thread starter macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

I've had it move stuff around before, but I never had album names that were identical up to the size of the apparent folder name maximum.

This didn't work. I suppose I could copy the directory elsewhere, delete my songs, and reload them, losing my statistics.

I'll check this weekend to see what the story is on my Mac.

4. devburke Guest

Before doing something that drastic, I'd try just renaming the albums to something different entirely and seeing if the files move

5. Howard Brazee thread starter macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

My Mac had no problem with the full album names, and when I renamed the albums, the folders renamed as well. In both cases, the albums were under compilations.

I'll look at it at work again Monday, if I have time.