Telling the difference between revs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by melissa23, Sep 14, 2009.

1. melissa23 macrumors member

Hi,

I have searched for this on here and not found anything, so I've made a thread to ask.

I have been reading info about the MacBook Air- not in a position to buy one right now, but it's a possibility. If so, I would sell my 21-month old MBP (which is being fixed atm due to broken superdrive and screen- screen was my fault) and buy a used MBA, probably from eBay.

I keep reading that 'rev A' models have lots of problems and people shouldn't consider buying one of these. When I see specs listed, they say 1.6Ghz, 80Gb HDD etc- but I don't know how to tell from this what revision it would be.

Melissa.

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Rev A -

1.6GHz/80GB HDD
    1.8GHZ/64GB SSD

Rev B -

1.6GHz/120GB HDD (nVidia)
    1.86GHz/128GB SSD (nVidia)

Rev C -

1.86GHz/120GB HDD (nVidia)
    2.13GHz/128GB SSD (nVidia)

3. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

I think rev C 1.86Ghz/120 Gb HDD

4. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

Melissa: you should also check the refurbished section in the Apple store. I think you can find a rev. B, with SSD, for about 1,350 USD. Which is not bad.
    I wouldn't ever consider a MBA with HDD, as far as I can tell it is as slow as hell.

5. melissa23 thread starter macrumors member

Thankyou :) I'll save that list for future reference.

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Oh yeah, my bad

7. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

As far as looking at them...

If it looks like has two USB sized ports, it's an original or rev A MBA (one you don't want). One is Micro DVI other is USB.

If it looks like one USB, and the other port is half the size, it's the rev B/C MBA. One is USB other is Mini Display Port (less than half size of USB port).

If turn them on, can look in "About this Mac" in Apple. Will say processor and memory... if RAM is DDR2, it's an original. If RAM is DDR3, it's rev B/C. Also, that will show exact CPU. If original, it's a Merom CPU. If rev B/C, it's a Penryn CPU.

Then you can select "More Info" and if you select Serial ATA, it will show drive installed. Mine shows as Apple SSD 128 which is the SSD 128 GB. The HDD would show 120 GB.

Good luck...

8. mrgossett macrumors 6502

I just recently bought the Rev. B 1.86 SSD refurb from the Apple Store, and I love it. Got it for $1349 and no tax on my state's tax free weekend last month. I can highly recommend that model.