Telltale's Monkey Island game.

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by JackAxe, Jul 7, 2009.

1. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I picked up the first episode and so far It's much better than I had anticipated. It's PC of course, but if you guys are a HUGE fan of the series like I am(mostly the first 2), it's worth getting.

My only gripe is the controls. Although they are no where as awful as Monkey Island 4, the method they've chose for mouse movement is bleh. I can't just click anywhere and have Guybrush go to that point. What I found that works, after reading a blurb on another site, is using a gamepad to move when it's not a short bit, then the mouse for all interaction.

2. newcronos macrumors regular

I have only played the intro but I do believe that yes you can use the mouse to walk anywhere. You can't just click however, you have to click *and* drag.

3. JackAxe thread starter macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I know you can click and hold to move, but it's rather poor. Being able to click anywhere -- not just something that's labeled -- and having Guybrush move to that point is what I'd like and what I had expected. :)

4. newcronos macrumors regular

Ah I understand now. Yeah it's a little bit different, and awkward.

I'm hoping that I'd get used to it though. I rarely play games anymore or even at all, but I pre-ordered this one as soon as I heard about it. I'm planning to enjoy it slowly and just spend 1-2 hours at most on it per day. I need to make sure I don't complete this chapter way before the next chapter comes out :D

5. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

I'm a sucker for adventure games, I'll pick this up when it hits XBLA.

6. JackAxe thread starter macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Same here, I'm milking it until the next episode. :) But on the game part, I play more now days than I did a few years back. Lots of fun ones to choose from, games like Mass Effect.

Lucas Arts just released all the old graphic adventures again on Steam. The Digg, Loom, and both Indy games. I own them already, but I guess I'll be buying them again. :eek:

One last ramble. I noticed that some of the best games I've played, don't have a metric rating like today's games.

7. JackAxe thread starter macrumors 68000

JackAxe

But... BUT... But... This game really needs a pointer. :eek:

8. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

My thoughts exactly :)

I'm definitely going to pick this up, hope it's good, I actually liked Curse of Monkey Island a lot, even though it was a big departure in style from the previous games but Dom Armato's voice work won me over so I'm definitely glad he is returning for both Tales and the Secret remake.

9. mslide macrumors 6502a

Wow, I had no idea this new Monkey Island game existed (or that Lucas Arts was remaking the original). I'm glad I read this thread. I'll have to pick it up. I loved the original Monkey Island games. I liked them so much that I actually bought an MT-32 a few years ago so I could replay the first one, as well as sierra games, like they were intended.

10. alkar macrumors regular

just FYI, the game works beautifully in Crossover (except the lack of FSAA since Crossover never supported this) in OSX :)

11. JackAxe thread starter macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Awesome! The game doesn't need AA anyways, just as long as there area a few more areas it makes me laugh. :eek:

mslide,

That thing was king! I always drooled over them at the computer shows. I originally played MI on my Sound Blaster Deluxe, then later on my SB Pro or something like that. Much later I bought a SB AWE 32 with a Korg daughter card. That sounded pretty good. :) Anyways, I have MI on CD, so the music is CD audio and sounds great.

Chone,

I liked that one also, not as much as the others, but it still gave me some good laughs. I had just had a hernia operation prior to playing that game, so it actually caused me quite a bit of pain as laughing really hurt. I'm pretty sure the first game would have ripped my stitches open. :eek:

12. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I wonder how much funnier the first game is going to be with voice acting (if it's good voice acting that is).

I've already started playing Tales... it definitely feels like a Monkey Island game but I'm not completely thrilled about the 3D graphics, some of the models are reused and the style is way too cute and cartoonish, even more so than Curse.

13. JackAxe thread starter macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I'm not sure. When I played the firsts MI games, I always had my own voices for each character. I guess I'll find out shortly.

Same here about the 3D. At least it's better than Escape from Monkey Island, and more importantly, at least I can use the mouse to point, where as the mentioned 3D abomination was keyboard only, like Grim Fandango.

I noticed that this 3D Guybrush looks like some of the character sketches that Lucas Arts worked on for the SE version. I like this version way better than the new DOUCHE look that LArts chose, but I really would have preferred they had gone back to the MI2 look.

Just for reference:
    I bought The Digg on Steam to see how it plays. Well, it works, but when it comes down to it, Scumm VM provides a better experience, as it offers way more options. But It's not going to stop me from buying the rest of these graphic adventures from Steam.

14. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

I already downloaded, played, and finished the first episode of Tales of Monkey Island. It's a bit better than I expected, but it still has that awful Monkey Island 4 feel to it, and it still lacks the "point-and-click" part of "Point-and-click adventure game". Don't get me wrong though, I'm incredibly happy that Monkey Island is back! :D

For reference, I got introduced to the series with Monkey Island 3 when it first came out in 1997, and I think it's by far the best of the series. So I went back and played Monkey Island 1, which I also really enjoyed. Then came Monkey Island 4, and that was awful... :(

15. JackAxe thread starter macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Yeah, the 4th and its HORRIBLE Monkey Foo was just bad!!! The controls were the worst.

I agree on the point and click part also, because TellTale tends to simplify things too much with their games and that really bothers me. I really want the option to choose how I interact with an object and not let them decide. :(

I'll finish this game before the next episode. :)

Have you played The Dig? If not, do so! :eek:

16. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

I completely agree, I was really disappointed that you can no longer choose how to interact with something in Tales of Monkey Island. Maybe they wanted to simplify things for the console version of the game (It's on the Wii now, with a possibility of it appearing on Xbox Live Arcade).

No, I haven't played The Dig, but I'm going to get it on Steam. Knowing Steam, they're definetally going to have a "LucasArts Adventure Games Pack" or something, so I'll wait until that. I remember a long time ago when I was a kid, a friend of mine came over and showed me The Dig. I don't remember anything of the game, but I remember I was intrigued and wanted to get it :) But I never did for some reason.

17. Fusion Bassist macrumors newbie

OR you can do what I did and use wsad keys like I did.

18. JackAxe thread starter macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Yeah, that way is the most logical. *hides out of shame* :) I even have a N52Te SpeedPad that I use religiously. I just have troubles relating graphic adventures to keyboard movement, so didn't associate it. :eek:

Voidness,
    Sam & Max is the same way, and it was PC only at first. TellTale didn't even do item combination prior to this game. It's a bummer they're trying to make these games so accessible. :|

Well, if you need/want a game to play, The Dig is worth buying on its own. I've bough it twice for the Mac -- loaned my original copy out. It's my personal favorite graphic adventure and I've played them ALL! :)

19. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Me too and when I heard Dom Armato in Curse he sounded nothing like I thought Guybrush would... (I always imagined Guybrush with kind of a rough voice) now I can't imagine Guybrush without Armato's voice :eek: so I guess it's all a matter of getting used to it.

I hear such praise about The Dig and I never got a chance to play it, I was never really that interested in non-comedy adventures (though I did enjoy Indy Jones and The Fate of Atlantis, which was kind of serious) but I might just give it a try, does it have voice acting?

20. JackAxe thread starter macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I honestly can't recall how I imagined Threepwood's voice. The first time I played it was in 90 or 91. But when I played it again on the DS the other year, I imagined his voice sounded like Fry from Futurama.

The Dig has a few funny moments, so like any good story. It's a talky. The voices are all well done, as is the music. Overall it's a great game, really worth playing. It's the only graphic adventures I turned around and played again after completion. I can't say this for any other graphic adventure, as most I didn't care to replay for years.