Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Australia's largest carrier Telstra has announced that all of its Go Mobile plans now include data-free Apple Music streaming as of this week, enabling customers to listen to songs and albums without tapping into their monthly data allowance. Telstra's FairPlay policy regarding unreasonable usage applies. In tandem, it continues to offer free six-month Apple Music subscriptions to new customers.

Apple-music-telstra.jpg

Telstra also now includes a three-month subscription to popular streaming services Netflix, Stan, and Presto on select mobile plans. Additionally, all plans include a free 200GB OneDrive cloud storage subscription, free and unlimited Telstra Air hotspot data, and a NRL and AFL 2016 Footy Season Pass.

Many carriers offer free subscriptions to services like Apple Music or Spotify to attract new customers. Telstra became the first carrier to gift Apple Music with a mobile plan when it offered a 12-month subscription for free last August. German carrier Deutsche Telekom is similarly planning to offer new customers six months of Apple Music service for free starting in September, according to a recent report.

When the six-month Apple Music subscription ends, Telstra will automatically charge customers $11.99 per month until the plan is canceled, but data-free streaming will continue. The carrier has posted an Apple Music FAQ with more information about the offer, including how to sign up.

Article Link: Telstra Joins T-Mobile in Offering Data-Free Apple Music

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
This would be an enticing offer for me, to use Apple music or another service, for free on cellular if I weren't almost always on Wifi already - even at the gym. Streaming music is probably the most used thing on cellular plan, albeit its not much.

Mrjoedot

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2012
Asean market

Australia's largest carrier Telstra has announced that all of its Go Mobile plans now include data-free Apple Music streaming as of this week, enabling customers to listen to songs and albums without tapping into their monthly data allowance. Telstra's FairPlay policy regarding unreasonable usage applies. In tandem, it continues to offer free six-month Apple Music subscriptions to new customers.

Apple-music-telstra.jpg

Telstra also now includes a three-month subscription to popular streaming services Netflix, Stan, and Presto on select mobile plans. Additionally, all plans include a free 200GB OneDrive cloud storage subscription, free and unlimited Telstra Air hotspot data, and a NRL and AFL 2016 Footy Season Pass.

Many carriers offer free subscriptions to services like Apple Music or Spotify to attract new customers. Telstra became the first carrier to gift Apple Music with a mobile plan when it offered a 12-month subscription for free last August. German carrier Deutsche Telekom is similarly planning to offer new customers six months of Apple Music service for free starting in September, according to a recent report.

When the six-month Apple Music subscription ends, Telstra will automatically charge customers $11.99 per month until the plan is canceled, but data-free streaming will continue. The carrier has posted an Apple Music FAQ with more information about the offer, including how to sign up.

Article Link: Telstra Joins T-Mobile in Offering Data-Free Apple Music

Thailand's DTAC followed T-Mobile before Telstra. The campaign is called music infinite

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Unexpected, given how notoriously stingy and money hungry Telstra is. But definitely a welcome change, good job guys.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Anyone who is with telstra is a fool. They have dramatically inflated prices on every service they sell and their coverage is marginally bettet/if at all better.

Tpg destroys telstra as an ISP and any reseller on the optus network is better than telstra for mobile.

Telstra is what your parents and grandparents use because that is the only option they know (and blindly trust). When those two generations move on, telstra will be in a world of hurt.

Reactions: ajcrow93

jdmagoo1

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010
Anyone who is with telstra is a fool. They have dramatically inflated prices on every service they sell and their coverage is marginally bettet/if at all better.

Tpg destroys telstra as an ISP and any reseller on the optus network is better than telstra for mobile.

Telstra is what your parents and grandparents use because that is the only option they know (and blindly trust). When those two generations move on, telstra will be in a world of hurt.
I use to think the same until I ended up in NW Western Australia for 3 weeks with work. I was with Optus then, I can tell you that not having mobile phone coverage during that time was really tough, and having to use my bosses mobile to call the wife at home sucked balls!! He was the only one of us with Telstra, the rest of us was with voda, virgin or Optus. We all changed carriers and haven't looked back since.

Reactions: Zimmer62943

Zimmer62943

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008

I think you are way off the mark. Telstra have for a while now been competitive in their prices and services IF you get bundles and or while there is a special going on. I pay $40 for unlimited calls and text and 7gb a month, 12 months free Apple Music and now unmetered Apple Music streaming. Plus I live in a fire prone area which has previously been burned out and when I moved there I barely got a signal with Optus, so I swapped to Telstra and now get almost full bars 4G.
Their network is less congested, lags less, is faster and has much better coverage everywhere. No one can deny this, only people that have had a bad experience in the past will try to.

ajcrow93

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2011
I wouldn't go near Telstra again even with a 10ft barge pole. They might have the best national coverage area wise but they charge a ridiculous premium for it, and when you live in the metro areas it isn't worth it. Then throw in the fact their network has fallen over multiple times this year and their terrible customer service practices... NOPE.

4mat

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
Canadian carriers sucks balls.
Don't be so quick to judge. Telstra customers service is horrendous and tech support is inept. Not to mention Telstra retail, at least where I live, is literally the worst experience I have ever had. A lot of people in town have described them as hostile.

MattSwartSydney

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
I use to think the same until I ended up in NW Western Australia for 3 weeks with work. I was with Optus then, I can tell you that not having mobile phone coverage during that time was really tough, and having to use my bosses mobile to call the wife at home sucked balls!! He was the only one of us with Telstra, the rest of us was with voda, virgin or Optus. We all changed carriers and haven't looked back since.

100% Agree, I am with Virgin (Optus)works great in Sydney City, but I enjoy camping and my current no reception rate is close to 80%, basically 4 out of every 5 camping sites have no Optus reception or only GPRS. Frustrating as! Switching to Telstra as soon as my contract runs out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.