Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Telstra to Also Offer iPhone in Australia

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Telstra announced that they will be offering the iPhone 3G in Australia.
Introducing iPhone 3G. With fast 3G wireless technology, Maps with GPS, support for enterprise features like Microsoft Exchange, and the new App Store, iPhone 3G puts even more features at your fingertips. And like the original iPhone, it combines three products in one—a revolutionary phone, a widescreen iPod, and a breakthrough Internet device with rich HTML email and full web browsing. iPhone 3G. It redefines what a mobile phone can do—again.
Telstra is currently accepting registration of interest in the new iPhone 3G. Telstra joins Optus and Vodafone in offering the iPhone in Australia, and will also be available on July 11th.

Article Link

hendot

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2006
iPhone 3G will be available from Telstra on July 11 with a range of specially designed Next G™
iPhone 3G plans that meet the needs of any customer. The Next G iPhone 3G plans start at $30
per month with an upfront cost of $279 for the 8GB model and $399 for the 16GB model.
Customers will receive the 8GB iPhone 3G model at no cost with the $80 plan and either the 8GB
or the 16GB model at no cost with plans starting at $100 per month. All plans include free Wi-Fi
access at Telstra hotspots and require a 24-month contract.

The plans look pretty good I think

Comment

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
It's all about the data though. An iPhone needs unlimited data or it's useless. Does Telstra offer unlimited data?

Comment

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
Singapore
It's all about the data though. An iPhone needs unlimited data or it's useless. Does Telstra offer unlimited data?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

they day that happens is the day im rich..
thats hilarious.

telstra is a privately owned company, they work for the share holders, not the people they sell their services to. they wont give us unlimited and thats why they are so hated as a company here is aus.

Comment

lstoll

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2008
No details on what the plans include though... the Standard NextG plans at those points only include 20mb of data, so they could either be really good value, or really bad - hope we find out soon.

Comment

madbad01

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

they day that happens is the day im rich..
thats hilarious.

telstra is a privately owned company, they work for the share holders, not the people they sell their services to. they wont give us unlimited and thats why they are so hated as a company here is aus.

Well said. They're also hated for their shi*ty customer service, long wait times, high prices and out-of-the-blue thousand dollar bills. I'm glad Telstra crumbled first and spilled on the plans. Hopefully Optus and Vodafone will kick their asses with data and call value.

Privatization was such a f**k up.

Comment

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I was living quite well with the 120MB limit here in Israel. Sure, I wouldn't do youtube all day long, but in general it provided most of my needs. Ofcourse, whenever possible I used WiFi

Comment

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
Wow, I'm really impressed with those prices. The recently announced Canadians prices got me worried but it's all good in my eyes. I'll still want to know how data it offers and if it'll be possible to turn off the data once you clock over the monthly limit. The only thing that is a little disappointing is the 400 dollar price tag on the 16gb model. I would've thought the maximum would've been about $350. I would also like to know if they one that can be bought outright, but looking at the 16gb price tag, I could imagine it would cost A LOT!!!

Comment

MikeELL

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2006
Perth, Australia
woah this is scary

Well said. They're also hated for their shi*ty customer service, long wait times, high prices and out-of-the-blue thousand dollar bills. I'm glad Telstra crumbled first and spilled on the plans. Hopefully Optus and Vodafone will kick their asses with data and call value.

Privatization was such a f**k up.

If they were to offer >500Mb/month data included in the minimum plan I might actually consider switching back to Telstra. If Three (who I'm with currently) doesn't get it, I figure I might as well switch to the carrier with the greatest coverage.

Comment

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Since they refuse to offer outright purchase, it looks like I'll be buying one outright from Optus or Vodafone and stuffing my Telstra SIM into it...

Comment

m242

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2007
It's true we don't know the data limits yet, but the plans all include free wi-fi at Telstra hotspots, which is pretty much the whole CBD areas in Sydney and Melbourne at least. That is a quantum leap from previous plans.

Comment

crfrider24

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2008
telstra

yes 3 carriers in australia now. at leats we get choice for whole long they have made us wait.

Comment

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
Those prices seem, and I choke as I say it, Excellent.

The free access to the hotspots will in all probability persuade me to go with, um gulp, TELSTRA!

This http://www.telstra.com.au/wirelesshotspots/locations.htm

shows the Hotspots areouind Australia-They are everywhere, in fact everywhere you would need them Starbucks, Shopping Centres, all the major city centres and CBD's, Macdonlads.

Even if $ 30 a month doesn't include data, I wouldn't have any need for 3G internet access as these hotspots are so widespread. then add my own home and work wifi.

Telstra here I come me thinks.

No way optus or voda could compete unless $30 a month included unlimited 3G data.

Plus Telstra has , it must be sad, probably the most comprehensive and fastest network in any country so this could be un beatable.

Comment

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Steve said the 8Gb will be sold world wide for no more $199us right?

which at todays exchange rate is $227aus.
Telstra are $279 on a $30plan for 2years.

Hoping Vodafone and Optus can do a bit better.

Comment

nathanxu

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2007
Hobart
Steve said the 8Gb will be sold world wide for no more $199us right?

which at todays exchange rate is $227aus.
Telstra are $279 on a $30plan for 2years.

Hoping Vodafone and Optus can do a bit better.

Isn't the US has the VAT tax? That $199 US is excluding the VAT Tax? I hope its going to be cheap anyway.

Comment

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
I'm moving to Australia for a year in August (basing in Sydney and Melbourne, but traveling quite a bit). Having loved my iPhone for the year so far I am hoping to get a 3G iPhone upon arrival. How do Vodafone, Optus and Telstra compare? And what about Three, assuming they get an iPhone deal?

Comment

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
I'm moving to Australia for a year in August (basing in Sydney and Melbourne, but traveling quite a bit). Having loved my iPhone for the year so far I am hoping to get a 3G iPhone upon arrival. How do Vodafone, Optus and Telstra compare? And what about Three, assuming they get an iPhone deal?

All I can say is don't go with Telstra unless you're going to be spending heaps of time out of the city; while Optus and Vodafone ultimately have much smaller coverage, they are much better providers where they have been established.

Comment

curmi

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2000
Melbourne, Australia
For those of you on 3, for example, $30 a month means $120 worth of calls, and $70 worth of free calls to other 3 users.

Telstra's $30 a month might mean $30 of calls. Total.

We don't know until they reveal more information. So these plans might sound good, but I'd wait and see...

Comment

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
Does anyone have any idea how much data these plans give you? The telstra website is awful at giving any meaningful information on their plans.

Comment

kevinnugent

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Does anyone have any idea how much data these plans give you? The telstra website is awful at giving any meaningful information on their plans.

There's the rub with Telstra. All this sounds great but.... Wait for the detail. The devil will be hiding in there somewhere. :)

Comment

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
Three haven't announced and I can't see them get it now. There network is very patchy and has to resort to roaming on other networks, which you have to pay a supplement for if you use data downloads.

A Genius at the apple store in Sydney said Three didn't meet apples basic requirements so don't hold your breath,

Three also told me to expect an announcement on the 30th June-Nothing from Three so I think they have lost if for now.

I'm with Three and when I get my iphone I will probably still keep my Three phone to make calls as it costs me absolutely nothing. I'm on First on Three which is an amazing plan.

I don't think telstra are as evil as you are making out, lets not get carried away, they aren't MS. Yes they are a big giant but they do have the best mobile network probably in the world (especially when you consider the size and some of the remote areas of Australia)and those free hotspots are so tempting.
The Next G network is impressive-go and read reviews on it and Iv'e seen it used for internet on the move.

Big companies are often the cheapest as they have economies of scale.

It also must be said that they are the only real Australian mobile company. Three are part owned by Hutchinson Wampoa of Honk Kong (or is it Orange in France, I can't keep up as Three is always changing hands it seems-nobody wants them?) Optus is Singapores Singtel, Vodafone is UK owned, Virgin UK owned.

Not that it matters but I don't mind supporting an Australian company, being an Australian! To me I'm rapidly coming round to telstra now they have iphone.

Lets see what Vodafone and Optus offer now! Just how will they combat those free wifi hotspots!! Its just great for us though.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.