Telus, Bell to charge for incoming text messages

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by monke, Jul 8, 2008.

1. monke macrumors 65816

monke

More bad news for Canadian cell phone users.

Full Article

2. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

I've been paying for incoming text messages, since like 1999. American cell phone plans suck.

3. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

This sucks. I'm just rogers though, but still sucks. Why would I have to pay for spams annoying me? :mad:

4. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Exactly I was confused when i first read the title I just assumed everyone paid for them :rolleyes:

5. nigrunze macrumors regular

What is this! The year 1999? Why should we suddenly start getting charged to receive a text message whether or not it's spam?

Someone should probably start a ruinedbellandtelusphones.com (or something like that) petition.

6. monke thread starter macrumors 65816

monke

I didn't know that American cell providers charged for incoming text messages... hmm.

How do they handle Spam?
    How much do they charge for an incoming message compared to a outgoing message?

According to that article, Telus and Bell will charge $0.15 per text message, both sending and receiving.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

what spam? i don't get spam via text.

i think its between $0.10-0.15 in and out going texts with no text plan depending on carrier

8. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

If you gave your cell's email address that sends you SMSs (like flight status info, etc), you might get spam.

I decided to for t-mobile's $4.99 for 400 msgs plan and that turned out the best deal for me. Except of course it doesn't cover international SMS. :rolleyes:

9. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

My mom's phone get alot of spams for her cellphone. "Go to this link...blah blah blah"

What if some kid starts spamming random cell phone from facebook or a website? I would be pissed if I have to pay for those.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You know, a wired phone isn't looking too bad these days. :p

11. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

They don't handle it. I get spam texts (and no, I didn't sign up for anything, the person who had my phone number before me probably did), and my choice was to either block all incoming texts or to live with it.

12. 11800506 macrumors 65816

13. bobbyblowfish macrumors newbie

how can this happen after so many years

It started at 15 cents and now after 10 years it goes to 30 cents. It's like buying a tv from 10 years ago for double the price.

http://www.justquibble.com/?p=17

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Honestly, I didn't know that. That's retarded. I can understand the charge for sending SMS, but not for receiving it. The fact that someone you don't like may send you an SMS is completely out of the hands/control of the user, so it really shouldn't cost money. Same thing with incoming mobile phone calls. If a company phones my mobile phone, I don't want to be charged for it! I don't mind if I get charged for calls from friends, family, my employer, or possibly my doctor (for whatever reason), but otherwise, no thanks.

15. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

A few years back it used to be 5¢ to send a text message and 1¢ to receive one with my carrier. The price has since double, but still not bad considering what the nationwide carriers charge. You all know what needs to happen don't you? Google needs to enter the wireless telecommunications business and shake things just like Gmail did with free email services.

16. monke thread starter macrumors 65816

monke

Hopefully they'll offer extremely cheap text plans (like $5 for 100 or something) with unlimited incoming like the voice plans.

Quite honestly, I would rather have them charge twice as much for an outgoing than an incoming, that way a single user has complete control of their charges.

17. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

In the US, telemarketing to cell phones is illegal. I assume this covers text messages as well.

18. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I believe with Verizon its 10 cents to send, 10 cents to receive.

That has always bothered me.

19. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

I'm currently in Saudi Arabia, and it's surprising how a lot of cell phone services are taken for granted here while they're paid options in the US and Canada. Free incoming calls, free incoming messages (SMS and MMS), caller ID, per-second billing, and voicemail are standard on any plan, even pre-paid!

Charging for incoming texts is just plain robbery, and Rogers is sure to follow.

20. 11800506 macrumors 65816

They've risen it to $0.20 for incoming and outgoing texts. It hasn't been that low for awhile.