Telus Canada announces iPad data plan - 500MB for $20, then overage fees

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Chris.Thomson, May 30, 2010.

1. Chris.Thomson macrumors member

Telus has announced their iPad data plan: 500 MB for $20. After that, you're charged $0.05 per MB with a limit on the overage fees of $30 ($50 total).

A few questions remain about their plan, though:

• What happens after you hit $30 in overage fees? Does data just cut-off immediately, or is there a soft-cap of 5 GB, or is it unlimited?
    • Can you activate the plan on the device? AFAIK, other iPad data plans with overage fees don't allow you to activate or deactivate your plan on the device itself.

2. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

Is this the one and only option? If so, ouch!

3. Chris.Thomson thread starter macrumors member

From Telus, yes. It's not bad if you plan on using more than 250 MB but less than 500 MB. It just sucks if you go over. But there's always Bell (which uses the same network as Telus) and Rogers to choose from for those hating overage fees.

4. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I was really hoping that Telus would offer a more generous download limit for $20. This will be enough for my short trips to BC, but I wouldn't want to be stuck on this for an entire month.

5. Jeff Flowerday macrumors regular

So if I'm reading this right, it's as low as $20 and up to $50 for unlimited data.

6. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

No such thing as unlimited data in Canada. More likely they will just cut you off once you pass $50 (this is not confirmed yet, however).

7. tom1971 macrumors 6502a

I just called a store in Montreal, and apparently there is a 35 CAD activation fee. I was told, there is no possibility to have it waived :(

So lets' summarize:

*Robbers and Bell offer the EXACT same data plan for the iPad for a ridiculous price.
    +
    *Bell has no on-device account management, you have to call them to activate or de-activate your data plan
    +
    *Telus offers a slightly better deal for lower data amounts, but charges you 10 CAD for the SIM and 35 CAD activation fee (probably also no on-device account management)

=

FAIL by all Canadian Telco companies

In the end, I will probably have to go with Robbers, because they offer at least an intgrated account management....