TELUS GSM Coverage in Canada

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by antibact1, May 13, 2009.

1. antibact1 macrumors 6502

Just noticed this on my iPhone in downtown Vancouver. Could be that Rogers and Fido will have some competition for the iPhone soon. I can't connect to the network but it certainly shows up.

[​IMG]

2. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

3. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

If they have GSM, I bet they would advertise their lame parrot/amphibian commercials about it. It's just an error or their test network. You don't have a Telus SIM card in your iPhone and it's not unlocked.

I would prefer Rogers/Fido over Telus any day.

4. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Telus is building, or has already built, a GSM infrastructure because that's what they want to convert to. I read up on it last year.

5. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Whether it's likely or not, it's nice to dream about a little competition to bring down the gouging.

6. Zonyc macrumors member

Yup its true. Both Bell and Telus are converting to GSM

"Darren Entwistle, the CEO of Telus, said during a conference call with analysts and investors that offering two 3G networks side-by-side will help to “future-proof” Telus as the entire wireless industry moves toward a common standard over the next few years. “This will enable a smoother transition to a fourth-generation wireless network,” Entwistle said."

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone-news/bell-and-telus-building-gsm-iphone-time/

Sasktel is also working on GSM infrastructure. They're all sick of Rogers reaping the rewards.

7. Kevlar macrumors 6502

Both Telus and Bell want a piece of the Olympic Cell Phone pie, so are switching at least the vancouver area to have both CDMA and GSM coverage for the 2010 Olympics.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17