Temp. Monitors screwed up.

sulhaq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Okay all my temp. monitors are screwed up. Unfortunately during updating to 10.4.7 I had CoreDuoTemp opened up and it gave some kind of an error that now I cannot remember. After that all temp. monitors are screwed up now. I have coreduotemp and istat nano, both show the exact temparature of my macbook when I open them for the FIRST time, then they are stuck there. If my macbook gets cooler than that or hotter than that initial temp. they always show that one same temp.

How can I fix this, this is extremely annoying to me.

Thanks.

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
delete it and reinstall.
alot of people had this probelm and this seems to have helped some hope it helps you

sulhaq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
sorry for not posting this earlier. But I already did that. Trashed everything that had "coreduo" attached to it and re-installed. no change.

sulhaq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Can someone please help me. In an act of desperation I completely formatted my main volume and re-installed osx with no success :(

Bongolo

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2006
If someone has found a solution to this problem and could share it with us, it would be much appreciated!

Many thanks.

/Bongolo

Bongolo

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2006
Interestingly, I found a post by traget on another forum:

The flaw is known as AE18, and is a confirmed bug by intel (with a firmware/BIOS fix possible.)

As the processor attempts to save power, as a good mobile processor should, it switches into a lower power C state. C3/C4 being the lowest power. When the processor comes back into a more powerful C state, C0/C1/C2, no longer does the temp sensor on the processor update, thus my lack of updates. If a temperature is required, one can be achieved by opening photobooth (to use CPU resources) put the computer to sleep, wake it, and then check temp, without closing photobooth (keeping the processor out of C3/C4). After closing photobooth though, the temp updates will soon stop, unless you are superman, and can keep your processor occupied at all times.

This is definitely a fixable problem; Apparently, the intel iMacs, and the MBPs both had the same problem, and both have had it fixed via a firmware update; I just rather wish Apple would give me my firmware update sooner rather than later.

mustgroove

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2006
Would this bug have any possible adverse impact on the Macbooks' ability to detect when it's about to melt & turn on the fan? Because it doesn't seem to on my machine... "yes >/dev/null" and MemtestOSX both cause the fan to kick in after a relatively short period of time, despite the bug being there...

And yes it would be handy to have a firmware fix for this...

mustgroove

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2006
10.4.8 appears to have fixed this for me - CoreDuoTemp is now updating normally so far...