Temp really high

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by knew2mack, Sep 15, 2012.

1. knew2mack macrumors regular

knew2mack

ok so I'm in Netflix trying to watch a movie n my temp got up to 187 so I stopped.....should I do the thermal paste replacement??? I only know of this term reading thru different threads on temp.

Also, I tried adding my question into a previous thread on temp but no one answered, after a week or so....this is why I'm starting a new thread, every time I've gone to ask my question on a previously commented on thread, I've had no luck getting an answer, ever....maybe I'm doing it wrong..

I have no idea what a thermal paste replacement is or how to do it, but I just don't want to fry my mac.....can someone please help me???

thanks

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Thermal paste isn't going to make too dramatic of a difference, and I would stay away from it unless you feel comfortable.

It may get hot or display high temperatures but it will power itself off before it truly overheats if it gets to that point.

3. knew2mack thread starter macrumors regular

knew2mack

ok so if it powers itself off, does that also mean I've lost/burnt any/everything on my computer or is that just a process it does to avoid frying the computer out completely?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your temps are normal. The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)

If you're not already using it, iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) will give you accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level.

If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC.
    (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)

The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature

For Flash-related issues:
    If it powers off due to temps, it does so to prevent damage. Your computer isn't going to "burn up" or "fry" or cause you to lose anything. Relax and enjoy your Mac. It will manage temps and fans automatically.

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Avoid/prevent, yes. I wouldn't worry about temps too much, unless it's really out of hand for the circumstances. Your situation seems normal.

6. knew2mack thread starter macrumors regular

knew2mack

Hi GGJStudios....thanks for the info, I already do have iStat Pro but barely understand what it is I'm reading.

also my fans are running 6100rpm - it's loud n although I have lots of tabs open, nothing running any video at all.

I don't play games, I mostly watch movies and work with iphoto, which I can't seem to get a response regarding my iPhoto thread. want/need an upgrade from iPhoto 08 but can't seem to find iphoto by itself without having to upgrade my entire ilife suite....i thought I could find each option alone. $$$$ plus I'm running snow leopard n don't want to upgrade to Lion just yet, can you direct me as to where I may be able to find iphoto 09 cheap? I've come across some free options but not certain abt it....suggestions??

thanks

----------

thanks dark void for the info.....good to know cuz I was just closing it all down, worried I'd lose something. fans are high 6000rpm

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your fans spinning faster prove that your Mac is doing what it's designed to do, managing temps with higher fan speed. Be sure to read the information about Flash near the bottom of my other post. If you want to see a bigger picture of what's contributing to high temps,
    1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

No worries at all, just use the computer as you would normally. If the fans are high that is okay too - as long as they are spinning you are set.

9. knew2mack thread starter macrumors regular

knew2mack

ok here's screenshots....
    thanks

Attached Files:

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Please re-read the instructions and don't skip any steps. Each one is specific and important.

11. knew2mack thread starter macrumors regular

knew2mack

in the far right PID...I have no idea what most of what's listed there is....I'm certain that I could quit several processes but since I have absolutely NO CLUE as to what I'm doing, I just leave it, rather leave it than quitting something that's really important.....
    can you advise me on any of what I can quit without it being detrimental to the computer????

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I didn't say to quit anything. Don't. Just follow the instructions I posted exactly.

13. knew2mack thread starter macrumors regular

knew2mack

Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top)

I don't have a CPU column at the top, I do have process name column that I can click on to change the arrow?????

Attached Files:

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Right-click on the column headings and check "% CPU". If it's already checked, resize your columns or scroll to the right to find it.
    ScreenCap 2012-09-15 at Sat, Sep 15,2.34.05 PM .PNG

15. knew2mack thread starter macrumors regular

knew2mack

I wasn't going to quit anything, just saying that I'm sure there are lots of things running that I could quit but haven't since I got the computer, years ago.....

also, along the top I don't have a CPU column, I do on the bottom, but that doesn't allow me to click on couple of times to change how things are viewed in the top area.....

trying to follow yr instructions.....i've received great assistance from ya in the past, so I'm really hoping to get this resolved - i appreciate yr help

16. knew2mack thread starter macrumors regular

knew2mack

ok let me try this again....
    4 screenshots

Attached Files:

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This will go better if you follow my instructions exactly. They are very precise. I didn't say "CPU Time". I said "% CPU". Note the image in my post. It has "% CPU" checked and highlighted, but "CPU Time" is not checked or highlighted. It should look exactly like this:
    ScreenCap 2012-09-15 at Sat, Sep 15,2.39.00 PM .PNG

18. knew2mack thread starter macrumors regular

knew2mack

ok sorry, now I see what you were talking abt....... hope i did it right here ya go

Attached Files:

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

MUCH better! Thanks! There are two things I see.

First, I highly recommend that you uninstall MacKeeper. You don't need it and it can do more harm than good. The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

Second, you're using Flash. As I said before, read the information about Flash near the bottom of my first post.

I also see you have some page outs. After you uninstall MacKeeper, restart your computer to reset your page outs to zero and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

20. knew2mack thread starter macrumors regular

knew2mack

thanks....
    ok i've deleted everything related to mackeeper, moving on to yr flash instructions.....would you mind answering another vital question for me today?????

regarding iphoto?? have you already read the post? don't want to repost if you've already seen my issue

thanks again

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No need to repost. I never use iPhoto, so I can't help you there.