Temp rise after 10.6.3

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davidlv, Apr 6, 2010.

1. davidlv macrumors 65816

I have a MacBookPro5,4 2.53GHz with one fan and only the 9400M. After updating to 10.6.3 the operating temperature seems to have risen from about 43 degrees C to about 48. It has been getting warmer here in Japan so the ambient temperature is different but I still think this rise in temp. is due to the update. I have smcfancontrol installed and set to 2500rpm instead of the normal 2000, but it seems to be not enough to keep the temp. under control, as it did before the update. Any relatively hard use of the cpu and the temp goes up to 60 degrees. :eek: Any comments/ideas?

2. Tim018 macrumors regular

48...? so?

i'm still running 10.5.8 due to the heat problems sl causes with my 2.53 08 (w/ the 9600 and 9400) the 9600 runs at 65c idle and the 9400 runs at 55-60 idle.

using basic apps like browsing the web or light photoshop yeilds temps of 75 or so with fans at 3500(using smc) with even just the 9400m. watching a hulu on the 9400m causes temps of 80-85c with fans you can hear next door...forget hulu/youtube with the 9600, it gets up to 90c or so with fans running at max.

my solution was to move back to 10.5 till this is sorted out, however, you may not have that option. you can bump up the fans to about 3200 or so with them still being barely audible which should knock off a few degrees or atleast not let them shoot up as uncontrollably. however, 48 in a laptop is really not something to complain about, even in 10.5 the coolest my laptop gets in basic browsing usage using the 9400 is around 45-50c.

60 is still not that much to worry about, that is fairly normal for any laptop to go up a few degrees under usage. if anything id say you lucky because it looks light apple got it a little more straightend out with the 09 mbp, the 08's are unusably hot in 10.6. now, if it gets to 65 or so at idle and 75-80 under load then you have something a little more to be worried or complain about. my suggeustion is either not worry about it too much since its much better than many other people out there (such as myself) and if ya want bump the fans up a bit more and that should bring it back down to a few degrees cooler. sorry for my long winded story...good luck

tim

3. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

If the computer is running normally, then just use it. What qualifies you to judge whether 1.) A 5 degree change is even worth getting upset about and 2.) that the change is a direct result of the update?

"Seems to not be enough to keep the temp under control" - What would "under control" be?

People need to stop over thinking their use of the Mac. It's not meant to be this difficult. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to run SMCFancontrol.