Temp when ripping DVD's to HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by olletsocmit, Jul 1, 2010.

1. olletsocmit macrumors 6502

olletsocmit

I have a new MacBook Pro (i5 2.4ghz, 4gig ram). I rip around 5 dvd's to my computer a week and it seems to be getting wayy to hot each time. I just did one and the temp was around 82-88C most of the time. I monitor the temp using smcFanControl. The fans were running at 6,000rpm almost the entire time too! This just seems way to hot for me. I feel at these temps, im only gonna get like a year out of this computer before it gets fried from being to hot all the time. I use HandBrake to rip my dvd's.

What do you guys think? Is this to hot, what should i do? I took it to the Apple store and told them, but they said they cant do anything unless the computer is getting to hot and ******** itself off.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Those temps look fine. My 2007 Blackbook has yet to die on me after three years of constant DVD encoding and ripping. You'll get used to the extra heat.

PS: You may also notice that the MagSafe gets very hot as well. This is normal.

3. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

I think, as long as you're not approaching 100C than you'll be fine. I ripped about 15 DVDs last week and I was up to 88 pretty regularly, but it came right back down as I finished.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

80? Degrees C? Hell, my 13" MBP gets up to 100C when I'm playing Rigs of Rods :cool:

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

your temp is find. 100C is the worry point. Ripping DVD is pretty CPU intensive.

6. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Those temps are fine. I use handbrake as well and my fans run at 6000 for pretty much the entire time I'm ripping.