Temperature App for rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gamerish, Aug 4, 2012.

1. gamerish macrumors regular

Coming from a 2010 MBP I'm used to using SMC Fan Control to monitor my laptops temperature but it doesn't work completely on the rMBP. I've searched but I can find an app/download/utility/etc to monitor the temperature, can anyone point me towards one? Thanks!

2. GGJstudios, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your battery, temps, fan speeds and much more.

3. rlantagne21 macrumors newbie

I've run into the same issue with my rMBP... Been using iStat Menus 3 (worth the $16) since it came out. While it doesn't give you the same amount of control as smcFan Control or Lobotomo's Fan Control, it does give you quite a few monitors and the ability to raise the base fan speed to whatever you'd like (default is 2000rpm, I've raised mine to 2500rpm). So far, I've had much better luck going this route. Now if only gfxCardStatus would work effectively...

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Bresink Temperature Monitor (free and extremely comprehensive) is compatible with the Retina`s iStat Pro has some issues, this thread helps to edit and return the functionality http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1407448 all credit to Buduls:

Steps:

1. Locate your widget, it will be under /Library/Widgets or ~/Library/Widgets
    2. Right click it and select: "Show Package Contents"
    3. Open Wide.js or Tall.js file in some editor (Wide is for horizontal view, Tall for vertical)

4. Locate the line

WideSkinController.prototype.updateProcesses = function(){
    var _self = this;
    var exclude = "";
    if(p.v("processes_excludewidgets") == 'on')
    exclude = " grep -v DashboardClient | ";

if(p.v("processes_sort_mode") == 'cpu')
    widget.system('ps -arcwwwxo "pid %cpu command" | egrep "PID|$1" | grep -v grep | ' + exclude + ' head -7 | tail -6 | awk \'{print "<pid>"$1"</pid><cpu>"$2"</cpu><name>"$3,$4,$5"</name></item>"}\'', function(data){ _self.updateProcessesOut(data);});
    else
    widget.system('ps -amcwwwxo "pid rss command" | egrep "PID|$1" | grep -v grep | ' + exclude + ' head -7 | tail -6 | awk \'{print "<pid>"$1"</pid><cpu>"$2"</cpu><name>"$3,$4,$5"</name></item>"}\'', function(data){ _self.updateProcessesOut(data);});
    }

Change "PID|$1" to "PID| $1" (Add space before $ sign)

5. Save the changes

6. Remove widget and re-add it Dashboard, and it should be fixed or just restart the Dock with: killall Dock from Terminal.