Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Navaros

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
Hello everybody,
I have a Power Mac G5 Dual-Core 2.3 GHz (Late 2005) bought in April 2006. A couple of weeks ago I decided to clean the dust accumulated inside 4 years so I proceeded to disassembly the system, removing almost everything (motherboard, processor, superdrive, hard disk, power supply, etc). After reassembling it I did a "Thermal Calibration" using an Apple Service Diagnostic disc (ver. 2.6.3), the only indication I didn't follow was that the room temperature was 29ºC instead of 25ºC or less. The system works perfectly but for some days I've noticed that the processor's temperature is too high (up to 70ºC) and the fans don't help (they are always at the minimum RPM with slight variations, below 600 RPM, totally inaudible). Before performing the cleaning, with the same room temperature, the processor didn't go above 60ºC because the fans rose its RPM's whenever the processor reached that temperature.

Any ideas? Thanks.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Put your power settings on highest.

Are you running Tiger still or Leopard? I saw the fans go nuts on Tiger, my PMs run MUCH better on Leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.