Temperature control

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Snarf103, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Snarf103 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So i recently bought a macbook and i've installed windows on it for some games.
    But i noticed that it gets very hot when i run windows (even without gaming, too scared to try gaming yet).

I heard fancontrol can decrease temperature by making the fans RPM higher.
    Is this going to wear out my fans faster or damage them?
    If so, are there any alternatives?

Thank you :D

2. aki macrumors 6502a

there are many many posts on this issue so search for them but very briefly:

yes if you do heavy lifting in windows your machine will get hot(ter than you might like)

higher temperatures over longer periods arent really an issue so much for your cpu or gpu or anything but they will certainly lower the lifespan of your internal hd (hds dont like heat)

if you game a lot, or you want your machine/hd to last for a longer period, or you are paranoid, install smcfancontrol or similar (search forums for info on use). it works fine. yes, this does mean you will be using your fans more. you get to choose between a shorter fan lifespan (theoretically - they are pretty longlasting i think really unless you are doing insane things with them) or a shorter internal hd lifespan. no brainer really.

if you rarely use windows, or for simple tasks, or for short periods, or you upgrade your system every year or two, or you are not paranoid, then ignore it (people do)

my 2c

3. chrisworld macrumors member

I wouldn't worry about the fans wearing out. These little fans are designed for long usage over a good 5-6 years I assumed, but I KNOW they will last longer than that -- you can see old computers today upwards of 10 years old still cranking the same old fans without a problem.

4. Snarf103 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, is there a recommended speed for the fans in windows?

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

You don't have to worry about temperature at all despite what people tell you.

There is an auto-shutoff mechanism in every computer (modern computers anyway) that will shut it down if it gets too hot. You will notice freezups and glitches first though.

Macs feel hotter because they are made of aluminum and the heat dissapates through it much more efficiently then plastic.

No need to worry about the heat from gaming in windows or anything you will not break your mac. If someone tells you otherwise they are wrong.

6. aki macrumors 6502a

This is correct.

A lot of people go bananas when they touch the casing and its good to fry eggs on. As chrono says, this is normal, desirable behavior - its removing heat, this is A Good Thing. It is also correct that the mac will shut itself down if temperatures are risking the CPU or anything serious like that.

The only point I'd differ on is in regards to the internal HD. Heat reduces HD lifespan, it's a fact of life. All HDs die one day - hot ones die sooner (on average). Apple has designed the iMac well - but it was designed to run OSX under normal loads for a few years. So as I say above, if you are doing "abnormal" things with your hardware - for example, hardcore gaming in Windows for couple of hours every day - then it's not crazy to install a temp monitor and manual fan control. You don't have to; most people don't. Basically just what I said up above - if you want your HD to last for longer than "normal", or you really push your hardware, or you are paranoid, then it's an option you can avail yourself of.

In general use though, the iMac works fine, don't stress it. You've always got Timemachine if you are unlucky and your HD does sputter out on you.

Re the "what fan speeds should I set" question - well, it's personal preference. For myself, I've read that HD lifespan starts to drop dramatically once you are over 55C for sustained periods. In light of that, I set my fan speeds to keep things more or less 50C or under. Again, higher temps for short periods aren't a major issue. It's more a case of running at mid 50s plus for hours over an extended period.

Just to underscore, I agree with chronos basic sentiment, that probably 90% of people who get all stressed over temperatures have no reason to.