Temperature differences

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Oofie, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Oofie macrumors regular

I've got two 13" MBP's (Mid 2012) here at home and I've been observing the temperatures for the last half hour. One is 5-8 C cooler than the other one. I'm using smcfancontrol on both of them and have the fans set at 2400 on both as well.

The main difference between the two machines is that the warmer machine has an SSD drive, but everything else is the same. Both are running on batteries, both are running the same programs (mail, chrome, activity monitor). The warmer machine will idle at 48-50 C while the cooler machine will idle at 40-42 C. Seems a bit of a difference, isnt it?

2. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

It's not the HDD causing that temperature difference. It's too far away from the CPU and GPU to make even a remote bit of difference...

One of the two machines is a victim of having way too much thermal grease slopped onto it, or doesn't have the heatsink properly attached.

I thought Foxconn was switching to robots to do this sort of work...

What's your room's ambient temp?

Given my early-2011 is in an ambient temp of ~25C and idles at ~35C, and when installing apps or doing light usage stays around 40C, there's bound to be more going on... but I do know Lion is a battery pig, meaning the OS is doing more in the background at some point. That probably explains some as to why your MBPs both run warmer constantly.

3. Oofie, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

Oofie thread starter macrumors regular

^ using iStat, ambient temp registers at 37C for the warmer machine and about 33C for the cooler machine. So could it be just the sensors since they are registering different ambient values? I have both on the same table, just idling.

4. aj8690 macrumors member

aj8690

He wants to know the ambient temp of the ROOM...

5. Oofie thread starter macrumors regular

I dont have a gauge here in the room or in the house, but I would say ambient room temp is around 65-70C.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They may have different processes running. To check, do the following on both computers:
    1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.
    I think you mean Fahrenheit, not Celsius. 65-70C is 149-158F. I doubt you're sitting in that kind of heat.

7. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

that is a sauna you in

8. stuaz macrumors 6502

Isn't 40C like 100+ F?!

So 70C must be 158F...ouch....

9. Oofie thread starter macrumors regular

lol, sorry bout that. Just woke up and replied right away.

Yeah, ambient temp in the room is around 65-70 F. :p

10. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

Is it really thermal grease?

In the Retina Macbook Pro reviews I've raid, the idle and load temperatures vary completely. They also very differently even though some are 2.3 ghz while others are 2.6 ghz!

How can a 2.6 quadcore run cooler than a 2.3 quadcore at idle? why does this sometimes happen?

what the hell do you do. if you have a machine thats 10+ degrees warmer than others. then your so much closer to overheating when pushed for hours. can you return it to the store based on that?