Temperature Monitoring and RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ninjastarstruck, Jul 31, 2012.

1. ninjastarstruck macrumors newbie

I recently installed a temperature monitoring app, and I noticed that my Late 2009 MacBook's CPU runs at close to 80 degrees celcius on average. Wtf? That's too hot, right?

I'm trying to figure out why it would run so hot when all I'm doing is browsing with 5-6 tabs open and... not much else... uTorrent is open...

I did upgrade my RAM recently (with OWC recommended RAM sticks). I'd imagine upgrading my RAM would lower the workload for the CPU, wouldn't it?

I see that this question has been asked several times already, but I was hoping someone could give me a more personal answer. Anyone have the same MacBook?

2. GGJstudios, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.

Use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus )$16) to get accurate readings of your battery, temps, fan speeds and much more.

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Check activity monitor for what is taking up your CPU. I often have issues with utorrent running my CPU at 50%+ for no apparent reason.