Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fezzzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
I’m looking for a device that I can set temperature notifications (eg if temperature reaches a certain level) that works with HomeKit and can send notifications via the Home app (like how eve door & window sensors do currently). Are there any that can do this? I know that there are many devices that have their own native app that can set and send these notifications, I was just wondering if there are any that work within the Apple home app? It seems most can only trigger an action, not send push notifications? Thanks!

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
I’ve got temperature sensors in HomeKit but don’t seem to be able to do what your trying to do, which is annoying as it’s pretty simple.

I’ve got an eve room and outdoor sensor which both include temperature data in Home. I’ve a Honeywell Lyric (Thermostat) and 2 Philips hue motion sensors (which now show as temperature sensors in HomeKit).

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
No. At least, not yet. Home app simply does not support that sort of notification at the moment. A device, no matter how good, cannot make the Home app do something it's not capable of doing.

Fezzzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
No. At least, not yet. Home app simply does not support that sort of notification at the moment. A device, no matter how good, cannot make the Home app do something it's not capable of doing.

Completely understand what you’re saying.

I guess I just want the ‘one app to do everything’ setup rather than having several apps installed.

Having said that I will probably just stick with the la crosse alerts I have now. The temperature I want to monitor is for the pets at home, unfortunately my heating and cooling systems are ancient and I can’t use smart thermostats just yet.

Anyways It’s worked out so far. So I will just stick with what I have.

Thanks guys for the replies!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.