Temperature "problems" ?? internal components and hardware

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by swmr, Mar 7, 2008.

1. swmr macrumors regular

swmr

Please take a look at the screenshot below. I am in the process of using Handbrake to rip a DVD, but it seems like the computer overworking itself and it might be getting too warm. Take a look at the temps in iStat pro, specifically CPU A and GPU Diode. They are in F but I through in a unit converter to give the C. Is everything running okay or should I be worried?

Thanks

Mitch -- swmr

Attached Files:

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

It's a little on the warm side, but I seriously doubt it's anything out of spec, nor anything to worry about. The CPU would self-limit on speed if it were actually an issue--they do that rather than damaging themselves.

That said, I use one of the 3rd party utilities to change the fan ramping curve on my 17" MBP so that it keeps the thing cooler at the expense of more fan noise. Since I use it on my lap, it's a worthwhile tradeoff to me.

If you don't like those temps, you can always install one yourself.

3. Techsavyfreak macrumors member

hey, those temps look okay. when i run handbrake, the temp is about 10 F lower, but it should worry you enough. i have found that the fans run fine, and i have no need to install any programs. unless its on your lap you'll be fine. i think apple took in consideration that the computers would get hot. so i dont think they would design a crappy machine that couldnt take "the heat''.

4. swmr thread starter macrumors regular

swmr

Okay. I was thinking that it was normal, but it is the hottest its been all week. I just figured I would ask. When just browsing the internet, the temps are all significantly, so its not like the temperatures are always that high.

5. mrtune macrumors 6502a

That's not so bad. My macbook will peak at almost 200*F while using handbrake.

6. swmr thread starter macrumors regular

swmr

Wow. Everything in the MBP still sounds normal, and the fans didn't get any faster, but it just seemed a bit weird at the time. Maybe iStat is worrying me more than helping me haha.