Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sulhaq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Alright, No temperature monitors work on my macbook. I;ve tried CoreDuoTemp, Temperature Monitor, iStat nano, iStat pro, Hardware Monitor demo version, nothing works.

I unloaded speedit through terminal and then uninstalled all monitors then restarted and reloaded speedit directly through terminal and then checked the temperature of my macbook through the command line interface. Still the same thing. No matter what I do the temperature is stuck at one reading after initial startup. If its at 31 it stays 31 until i restart. Then I restart and now if its 75 it will stay 75 until I restart.

My macbook doesn't get hot, it does get warm and hot from underneath but the palmrests never go beyond being warm, i cant however put it on my lap when its working under full load.

The fans seem to be working fine, they kick in when high load comes and die off when comp. is idlle. One more thing I've noticed is that sometimes when i restart the comp. the fans come on for a bit out of the blue and then die off.

So, should I be worried? or can i just keep my macbook and ignore this.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
sulhaq said:
Alright, No temperature monitors work on my macbook. I;ve tried CoreDuoTemp, Temperature Monitor, iStat nano, iStat pro, Hardware Monitor demo version, nothing works.

I unloaded speedit through terminal and then uninstalled all monitors then restarted and reloaded speedit directly through terminal and then checked the temperature of my macbook through the command line interface. Still the same thing. No matter what I do the temperature is stuck at one reading after initial startup. If its at 31 it stays 31 until i restart. Then I restart and now if its 75 it will stay 75 until I restart.

My macbook doesn't get hot, it does get warm and hot from underneath but the palmrests never go beyond being warm, i cant however put it on my lap when its working under full load.

The fans seem to be working fine, they kick in when high load comes and die off when comp. is idlle. One more thing I've noticed is that sometimes when i restart the comp. the fans come on for a bit out of the blue and then die off.

the coreduotemp should work... the hardware/temperature monitor shouldnt... what does coreduotemp say?

sulhaq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
CoreDuoTemp is always stuck at 1 temperature like all the others.
Even SpeedIt directly from the command line window is always stuck at 1 temprerature.

bibisline

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2006
sulhaq said:

It is an BUG!!

Intel Core Duo Erratum AE18

"Important flaw on Core Duo Processors

Some of the users of SpeedIt reported a bug related to the readout of the temperature, we have been tested the digital readout and we discovered that the problem is related to a bug in the microprocessor.

This bug could be affect your MacBook is Speedit temperature readout is below 30ºC, and dont' change. If your temperature vary from 20 up to 80 don't worry you are not affected by this bug.

The bug is documented by Intel and happend only in some processors and is the following:

AE18 Processor Digital Thermal Sensor (DTS) Readout stops updating upon returning from C3/C4 state. (Source Intel Corp.)

If this is your case, we recomend to go to Apple to verify your computer, because in case of thermal problems the processor will never get protected. You can solve this issue too with the last firmware from Apple, Intel propose a solution via bios or efi."

http://www.increw.com/the_news/latest_news/important_flaw_on_core_duo_processors.html

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
MalcolmJID said:
Mines doing this!!! Should I be worried? :(

Read the post above yours. Update your EFI, Firmware etc and see if that helps. If it doesn't then you might want to consider contacting Apple because your processor can't detect the temperature properly and this could cause thermal problems in the future, risking damage to the processor and the rest of the system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.