Temperature question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SLC Flyfishing, Dec 30, 2007.

1. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I've a black macbook with the 2.0 GHz core 2 duo processor and 2 GG of RAM. I'm wondering if there isn't something wrong with it. The CPU temperature regularly climbs to 137 degrees Celsius and above. I read in another thread that you don't really want it going above 100 so I'm wondering if there is some defect possibly. I'm approaching the end of my one year warranty and plan on buying apple care next month but should I have it checked out? I've got an Apple store here in my city so I can show it to a genius if I need to.

What do you think?

SLC

2. evilyankeefan macrumors regular

evilyankeefan

This is an obvious question, but are you sure you aren't looking at it in Fahrenheit? 137 C = 278.6 F. 137 C = 58 F which sounds more like it.

3. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

137c?! :eek: You could boil water and fry egg at that temperature. Have a look under activity monitor to see what your CPU is working on and run some self-diagnostic test from the CD provided with your MB.

As you're approaching the end of warranty I highly recommend you having the thing checked out by Apple.

4. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Nope I've got it in Celsius, it's hanging at 51 celsius right now but I've seen it go up into the 137+ range quite a few times and without the CPU activity monitor going up above 10% or so. I'm going to make an appointment with the Genius tomorrow and have him give it a once over!

SLC

5. evilyankeefan macrumors regular

evilyankeefan

Hopefully it spikes at the Genius Bar tomorrow so you can get it resolved.

Definitely wouldn't want this sitting on my lap when it did as it could have serious ramifications on my lineage.

6. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Also download iStat pro. It is a widget and you can get it on Apples site or on version tracker.

7. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Yup that's what I use and how I found the temp issue. I heard that these things run hot, so I always thought that was a normal temperature.

SLC

8. M!K macrumors regular

M!K

i do agree 137 is kinda of impossible. The MacBook would actually burn your entire house lol

9. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

That's what I would have thought, but that's what It's reading. I double checked to make sure I had it set to Celsius and it is. I'd think the processor would melt it's way right through the bottom of the polycarbonate but it hasn't. Maybe there's either a malfunction in iStat pro, or a malfunction in whatever it is that gives iStat the ability to read the CPU's temperature.

SLC

10. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

My fans on my 2.4 MBP will not kick up till my temp reaches 90c and then the fans only go to 3000. So I brought it in for the techs to look at. Hope it returns to me in the same perfect condition I gave it to them.

11. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

137C is way too high and probably wrong.
    My 2.2 MBP is around 60C on normal loads (running 2 screens, itunes, firefox +a few other small apps)

Gaming (WoW) usually never puts it over 85C either.

12. max1018 macrumors member

max1018

That would melt the bottom for sure! It looks like a problem with iStat Pro itself. How hot is it physically under the MacBook when it reaches that temp?

13. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You realize the max temp for our CPU is 100 deg C.. so at 137.. you'd be looking at a new cpu and logic board.. and a new heatsink also very soon.

14. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

See if you can find another monitoring tool to see if the temps match, I find that iStat Pro is always wrong when it comes to estimating my remaining battery time when compared to the time that I get from the battery at the top of the page. This is probably just a problem with iStat Pro, as you would be able to feel the heat if the computer was actually that high. The highest that I have seen my proccessor is 187 F, and that was when the fans hadn't kicked in yet when I was running Handbrake straight from the dvd drive to my hard drive. The fans then brought it down to about 170 F and that was the only time that I have seen it that high. On average, the highest I'll see it is 150 F and that is with a ton of apps running; lowest I have seen it is 47 F when I was in a hockey rink. It is currently running constantly at 122 F

15. Tefret macrumors newbie

Its probably a problem with the system board. I've seen temp sensors go with other brands of computers, so I assume they can go on Mac's as well. I'm sure they will replace under warranty, so take it in quickly. If its over 100c, and you can keep it on your lap, its not acctually 100c.

Also, check what your fan is doing, at around 65C my fan jumps up in the 4k -6k range... See if yours is doing the same.

16. bubble27 macrumors regular

which runs cooler out of the Pros?

15" or 17"?

17. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

17"

it has a larger surface area to dissipate heat.

18. TotalNoob macrumors newbie

a C2D CPU Will start killing itself at about 80c

Some earlier models can take up to about 100c

im reffering to the TJunction temps BTW (where the core meets the wafer on the CPU) that is a little cooler than the actual core temp.

19. Hexernex macrumors newbie

That is absolutely crazy for your Mac to be reaching 137 Celsius! I have had my MacBook 2.0Ghz on 39 degrees celsius on a regular basis,
    And that is while it is running:
    5 Safari's
    iTunes
    Mercury Messenger
    MSN
    LimeWire
    and usually GarageBand!

It has not had a problem yet but sometimes the camera goes on automatically at start up :p But I fixed that along time ago haha

But all I need to say is good luck with that issue! It would be a shame to lose an amazing work of art such as a Mac lol

20. one1 macrumors 65816

137C ????????? WOW!

My 17" PB doesn't get above 137F burning CD's! (and even then it feels pretty hot to me on the deck lid). The hottest it has ever been is 148F.

I have a feeling tomorrow when I stick my new HD in my MB and fire it up for the first time I am going to have issues with these machines......... They seem to run way hotter than I am used to.