Temperature Question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mizelly41, Apr 12, 2008.

1. mizelly41 macrumors regular

mizelly41

I am a big baseball fan and I will check the progess of MLB games on MLB Gameday which uses flash. While doing this, my macbook becomes very hot and the fan starts running like crazy. Is this something that is normal?

2. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

Yes thats normal, what temp does your macbook run at?
    Download iStat if you dont know.

3. mizelly41 thread starter macrumors regular

mizelly41

4. mac2mac macrumors member

Your cpu is fine there flash just uses lots of cpu for whatever reason.

5. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

yeah

14% of of ur computer being used is nothin to worry about

6. asme macrumors regular

133º better be in Fahrenheit or you've got a problem.

7. meyer1131 macrumors regular

my temps wont show.. it says its checked off though..

8. 030108 macrumors member

I read, and I believe, that you can significantly increase a CPUs lifespan for each 5 or 10 degrees you lower its temperature.

Personally, I am not comfortable with the temperature my Macbook runs at left on its own; I am convinced Macbooks are not adequately cooled/ventilated. I use a specially designed fan behind it and I keep it raised about a half inch from the desk. This usually keeps the temperature around 48 C; unless I am scanning with ClamXav or something, which tends to raise the temperature.

I use Temperature Monitor 4.x.

I see iStat is freeware as well so I will download it and try it.

9. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Download and install "SMC Fan Control", then you can change the fan speeds to be higher so that you MB stays cooler. Set it up so that it uses different speeds for different power sources.

Here are the settings I would recommend:

2500 RPM for Battery
    3500 RPM when charging
    3000 RPM when on AC-Power

10. iPhelim macrumors regular

yeah! im used to centigrade and saw that and was like 'JESUS'!

11. 030108 macrumors member

Thankyou for telling me about this. I use I8kfanGUI for my Dell PC, but I had not looked for a mac fan control yet.

I am going to download it.

I might keep using the external fan except when I am mobile or doing something that dramatically increases my mac's CPU temperature UNLESS I can just set certain high temperatures at which SMC Fan Control will change the fan speed. That is something I can do with the PC software I mentioned.

If I can set high temperatures with SMC I will, likely, keep using the external fan to save wear and tear on my internal ones and set the mac fans to come on or increase speed at, maybe, 58 C.

I glanced at the description on versiontracker.com and I very much like the fact that SMC Fan Control will not let me set the fan speeds below Apple defaults. With other software I will start using it long before I fully understand how it works, but, because I understood the damage that could be done with I8kfanGUI on my PC, if I mistakenly set the fans not to come on at all, I made sure that I well understood how to use I8kfanGUI and how it works BEFORE I began using it.