Temperature Sensor issue in BTO SSD iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jonofuf, May 28, 2012.

1. jonofuf macrumors newbie

Newbie to the site here, and I apologize if this subject has been discussed already, but I searched for an hour before creating my account to ask it.

Does anyone know if the current iMac, built-to-order with a SSD only, has the same issues with the temperature sensor / fan speed that people have been reporting when adding or replacing hard drives?

Mac forums are constantly bombarded with posts about swapping a HDD in an iMac, and having the fan run at full speed unless you pay for software to override the sensor. But I read somewhere that iMacs BTO with only a single SSD do not use the sensor (and the iMac essentially deactivates it on the motherboard), and thus any adding/replacing of either type of hard drive will not cause fan issues. Has anyone found any evidence to support or disprove this claim?

I was a bit confused by this, because I thought even the SSDs sold by Apple would have that same temperature sensor. Also, with or without fan control software, if the "Apple" temperature sensor is not being used, how is the temperature of the HDD/SDD monitored? S.M.A.R.T.?

Thanks for your help!

2. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

I think apple factory SSD has internal temperature sensor like factory HDD's but i am not sure.