Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronald.forster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2014
I came back from skiing with my iPhone in the backpack. Temperature of the iPhone approx -10 deg C.
Pressing the power Button displays following message:
-----------------
Your iPhone has to cold down before use. The text appears under a red thermometer.
------------------

If the temperature would be very high, would the message be: your iPhone has to warm up ??

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I came back from skiing with my iPhone in the backpack. Temperature of the iPhone approx -10 deg C.
Pressing the power Button displays following message:
-----------------
Your iPhone has to cold down before use. The text appears under a red thermometer.
------------------

If the temperature would be very high, would the message be: your iPhone has to warm up ??

14F/-10C is pretty cold. I don't know why you would get an overheating warning message when its freezing cold outside.

I CAN say that weather that cold can make phones do very weird things. Battery drain much quicker, act strange, or just shut off completely.

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2009
Most electronics don't like subzero temperatures. Usually they just don't work rather than say they won't work :D

PsyOpWarlord

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
It just means Apple screwed up and didn't use different screens for high and low limits. Probably didn't think many people would trip the lower limit.

Your phone was outside the operating temperature range. Low temps can shorten the life of the battery.
Operating: 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F)
Storage: -20º and 45º C (-4º to 113º F)

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201678

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Yep, they most probably just used the same warning for too high and too low temperatures.
Report the bug using their feedback page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.