Temperature?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dcaccount, Aug 26, 2014.

1. dcaccount macrumors regular

Hello,

I have just bought a 15" rMBP.

I have noticed that the temperature of the frame on the top side, underneath the display, between F1 and the On/Off switch is much higher than the temperature of the other partes of the frame.

I am just wondering if it is normal or if I have to worry about.

Thanks for the replies.

Daniele

2. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Which model do you have the one without the Dedicated Graphics Card or with the NVIDIA Graphics Card ?

3. dcaccount thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, you are right, with the NVIDIA Graphics Card.

4. chabig macrumors 68040

It's normal. The heat comes out in the back underneath the display.

5. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

The Model with NVIDIA Graphics Card is by nature going to make your Mac run a little hotter than the one without, because of the extra task that it performs. Download a APP like iStat Menus which will help you monitor your Mac's Temperature and tasks and APPS or programs running which are making your Mac run hotter and you can accordingly decide what action to be taken.

From what I understand is, anything below 90 Degrees Celsius is considered Normal But I personally prefer the Mac to work not more than 70-80 Degrees Celsius and I stop what I am doing if there is something which is making it run at a higher temperature than the above mentioned.

6. chabig macrumors 68040

Or, he could just use the machine as designed without obsessing over it. My recommendation is don't install anything, and don't think about it any more.

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

What do you know that the Apple engineers don't? If it's working as designed and is within spec then all is good.

These FUD posts about MBP temperatures have been doing the rounds for years without any solid technical basis.

8. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

I am not claiming anyways that I know something that the Apple engineers don't...I am just saying this based on what I read it somewhere which Intel had published that there Processors even work good at 100 Degrees Celsius ! Anything beyond that and the System shuts down on its own is what I had read.

9. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Most Intel CPUs used in MacBooks are good up to 100C or 105C, a value referred to as TJMax on the spec sheets. Above this temperature the CPU triggers a protection mechanism that throttles the CPU to reduce heat output. The CPU will shut down at around 20C above TJMax.

My advice - just use the Mac. The fans on my two quad core machines ramp up to full speed above 90C, I've never seen CPU core temp readings over 96C even under full load.

10. Doward macrumors 6502a

95C max, 90C or less is golden!

11. texascrazyhorse macrumors newbie

I was worried about this as well, then I am watching movies this happens to me good to know is normal.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It can safely run at temps higher than 90C. There is no need to stop what you're doing if temps rise.

If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your temps, fan speeds, etc., rather than relying on your sense of touch or sound. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with recent OS X versions. You can download it here.
    The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)
    Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.
    It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.
    Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)
    The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best. For Flash-related issues:

13. eezacque Guest

In the long run, high temps do have an ill effect on components and solderings. Taking into account that everything is glued and soldered onto the logic board, your MBP cannot be repaired, and it is economically dead after its Applecare expires...

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Macs are designed to safely and reliably operate within their recommended temperature ranges for many years. Most users will likely replace their Macs for newer models several years before any ill effects of such temps would begin to appear. There are many examples in this forum alone of users running at such temps for 5+ years with zero problems, myself included.

15. cebseb macrumors regular

Add me to the list of people running high temp apple machines. If the temperature did reach catastrophic levels, then the machine would shut itself down before any permanent damage occurs.

16. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

What is the Maximum High Temperature that you have been working your rMBP on for 5 years ? What temperature ?

17. eezacque Guest

There are also many examples of the opposite, myself included...

18. dcaccount thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for advising.

The original version of iStat has been discontinued. Is there any other monitoring free software that you you would advise to install?

Thank you so much,

Daniele

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Even though iStat Pro has been discontinued, it still works. You can download a copy from the link in the next sentence after the one you quoted.
    As high as 102-103C. And it's now been 6+ years.

20. Cibike macrumors member

Cibike

Exactly! I used to use soft called Temperature Gauge Pro (the version from paddle.com with ability to manually control fans and very, very nice user interface - much better then istats and other crappy soft) but after few months I realised that even when I know how hot is my mac running, when I need to have things done I just can't stop doing my **** until it's done, so why should I care about temperature at all? Macs are designed good, so I believe that in this things is user interference absolutely not needed.

21. ColdCase macrumors 68030

What I dislike is when I accidentally touch the magnasafe power connector with my pinky I get a nasty burn.

22. blooperz macrumors 6502

you must not use your mac for any serious work lol...even light/moderate usage will put you past 70 easily 0.o

23. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Did you even understand the between the lines meaning, I said ideally I would want to use it at below 90 degrees and if it is any particular task that is making it run hotter I will try and see what can I do about it. How Dumb !

24. blooperz macrumors 6502

Sorry but it makes no sense to me for someone to interrupt their workflow when the computer is running within reasonable temperatures....it's not uncommon to hi 90-95 during intensive tasks, and it's not going to damage your computer. Your wasting your time trying to "see what can you do about it" because the only other option is to not do whatever it is thats causing it to hit those temps. A laptop with this form factor is going to run hot . Period. That's like saying you wont drive your car for than 10 minutes at a time because you want to keep the engine running cooler than its threshold lol. Enjoy your machine and stop being OCD about its temp =p..it will take care of that for you

25. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Oh yeah ! of course thank you for your kind words and advice. And letting me know that !! :rolleyes: