Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeWinte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
I have a 20" iMac purchased Feb '08,

CPU - T7700 2.4 GHz
GPU - ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
HD - 320 GB
RAM - 2GB
OS - Mac OS X & Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

I use my windows partition for gaming as I use my Laptop for my other windows needs. On my iMac in Windows I have updated the ATI driver to the 8.6 Catalyst version with the help of driversheaven, after which my graphics performance was boosted greatly from the bootcamp drivers. I use the latest version of Bootcamp (2.1), and updating my ATI driver has fixed the issue with some fullscreen flash videos where they just couldn't work fullscreen.

My problem after all that is now solved with having bootcamp is that I play Crysis, COD4 and WoW when relaxing from Uni work. I need an application that will give me my operating temperatures similar to iStat. I would like to know just how hot and taxed my system is with Crysis, but the problem is that many apps wont recognise the Apple probes so I cant get anything apart from the CPU temperature. I would like to see GPU temp and fan speeds and HD temp.

I was wondering if anyone here had a Bootcamped iMac and if they are able to monitor these details properly, also the kind of performance they get from their machine. My machine after playing Crysis will operate very slowly but after restarting is fine, is this due to the stress that it is under? Also I have an iMac because I love the Mac OS, there are just some comforts I go to Windows for sometimes.

Many Thanks if anyone has bothered to read this incredibly long post, I just wanted to answer any questions before they were asked.

DeWinte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
Also OCing

If my temps are adequate how safe in an iMac would it be to overclock the GPU or CPU, ie. instabilty issues, increased heat etc. Also how should I go about it from Vista or Mac? I'm wondering if an increased clock speed would be reset when I boot into Vista and if it is then how safe it would be to play with the clocks from Vista.

Many Thanks

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
hey dewinte,

in regards to your first post:

its very hard to find a (free) hardware monitor program for windows computers. i know i have looked many a time and never come up with a compeltely freeware version, so i cant help you with your problems on that.

i know that this issue has been discussed many a time on these forums, bootcamp doesnt seem to handle the temperatures AS BEST as what OSX does (many people have different opinions to this though basically because it doesnt matter what OS is running, its pretty much the hardware that does the sorting of temperatures), however, though my personal experience i find that bootcamp will run ALOT hotter than in OSX. this doesnt lead to any overheating however. i must also say that i guess i mainly use bootcamp for gaming, so maybe that is the reason why it gets hotter (cauz the GPU is being used). i do do folding though so i guess the computer is hot all the time haha.

i am not sure of the "slowdown" you are experiencing after playing crysis, maybe bceause of the excessive heat from the GPU and the small, slim case the GPU is clocked down even higher to reduce heat.

in response to your second post:

i have a 2.8ghz imac (see specs) and OC'ing is quite ok, providing that you do not go overboard. if the computer resets then you know that your OC'ing too high.

P.S. goodluck OC'ing the CPU in EFI.:rolleyes:

DoFoT9

DeWinte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
P.S. goodluck OC'ing the CPU in EFI.:rolleyes:

DoFoT9

Yea looks like thats not happening :).
I would really like to see how hot my GPU is getting etc but oh well. I found a tool to see my CPU temps which idle at 42 and 43 and go to 65 ish under stress so that fine. I just wish I could get access to all the info that iStat can.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Yea looks like thats not happening :).
I would really like to see how hot my GPU is getting etc but oh well. I found a tool to see my CPU temps which idle at 42 and 43 and go to 65 ish under stress so that fine. I just wish I could get access to all the info that iStat can.

there are quite often drivers for GPU's that can OC/see temperatures of the GPU. i would try the nvidia web site to see if there are any tools that can give a temperature readout.

aki

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2004
Japan
i dont know but i read on posts that some/many/all??? of windows temp apps dont work at all or inaccurate readings for mac hardware.....i think we must wait for some new windows-on-mac/bootcamp temp utility

in my case i use smcfancontrol to control temps when i use windows and i just check my temp with istat after reboot to osx so now i have smcfancontrol settings which seem ok to manage temp in windows even tho i cant see them directly just after the reboot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.