Tempered Glass + Bumper + Back Protector. Am I drop-proof?

boba7523

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Hi everyone,

I like minimalistic design for my iPhone protection.

Would a tempered glass front screen protector + bumper + back skin protector make my phone drop-proof?

If the front tempered glass can withstand a drop, I'd believe the back and sides would be protected as well from the skin and bumper, respectively.

This is from dropping at about knee height.

Thanks!

newone757

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
Personally I wouldn't bet on it. I don't think minimalist and drop proof go together. it's a risk I take though as I generally don't drop my phone, but do get scratches

boba7523

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Personally I wouldn't bet on it. I don't think minimalist and drop proof go together. it's a risk I take though as I generally don't drop my phone, but do get scratches
But think about it, if tempered glass can protect the front screen (which is most important), then with the bumper protecting the sides and the back skin shielding the back, it makes sense that all sides are protected though!

cypressc

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
Austin, TX
I would still say no. IMO the tempered glass covers are gimmicks.

If you really want drop protection, you gotta suck it up and do the Otterbox or similar super lockdown thick case (if Lifeproof comes out, they are relatively thin). Otherwise, you drop it, it will probably still break.

Reactions: 0003939

boba7523

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011

If you really want drop protection, you gotta suck it up and do the Otterbox or similar super lockdown thick case (if Lifeproof comes out, they are relatively thin). Otherwise, you drop it, it will probably still break.
But all those YouTube tests of tempered glass. They even dropped it!

rstark18

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2009

From experience I can tell you from waist height you'll be fine. I've dropped my 5 and 5s a few times with the above setup (glass front, bumper, BSE skin back). Never a scratch or dent. From my experience, real world drops almost always end up landing on a corner. A bumper can easily cushion a small drop. I personally don't know anyone (I'm sure they're out there) that has broken a screen with a glass protector. All the broken screens you see out there are usually on naked phones.

There's nothing gimmicky about the physics of layered glass. bullet proof windows are made exactly that way (multiple layers of different materials).

Will2145

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2012
Vancouver, Canada

Naw man, dropped my iphone 5 trying to get it out of my jeans, screen shattered. Took off my glass screen protector and the screen was perfectly fine.

newone757

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
But think about it, if tempered glass can protect the front screen (which is most important), then with the bumper protecting the sides and the back skin shielding the back, it makes sense that all sides are protected though!

Back skin can't stop dents to aluminum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.