Tempered Glass + Bumper + Back Protector. Am I drop-proof?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by boba7523, Oct 1, 2014.

1. boba7523 macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I like minimalistic design for my iPhone protection.

Would a tempered glass front screen protector + bumper + back skin protector make my phone drop-proof?

If the front tempered glass can withstand a drop, I'd believe the back and sides would be protected as well from the skin and bumper, respectively.

This is from dropping at about knee height.

Thanks!

2. newone757 macrumors 6502

Personally I wouldn't bet on it. I don't think minimalist and drop proof go together. it's a risk I take though as I generally don't drop my phone, but do get scratches

3. boba7523 thread starter macrumors regular

But think about it, if tempered glass can protect the front screen (which is most important), then with the bumper protecting the sides and the back skin shielding the back, it makes sense that all sides are protected though!

4. cypressc macrumors member

cypressc

I would still say no. IMO the tempered glass covers are gimmicks.

If you really want drop protection, you gotta suck it up and do the Otterbox or similar super lockdown thick case (if Lifeproof comes out, they are relatively thin). Otherwise, you drop it, it will probably still break.

5. boba7523 thread starter macrumors regular

But all those YouTube tests of tempered glass. They even dropped it!

6. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

From experience I can tell you from waist height you'll be fine. I've dropped my 5 and 5s a few times with the above setup (glass front, bumper, BSE skin back). Never a scratch or dent. From my experience, real world drops almost always end up landing on a corner. A bumper can easily cushion a small drop. I personally don't know anyone (I'm sure they're out there) that has broken a screen with a glass protector. All the broken screens you see out there are usually on naked phones.

There's nothing gimmicky about the physics of layered glass. bullet proof windows are made exactly that way (multiple layers of different materials).

7. Will2145 macrumors 6502a

Will2145

Naw man, dropped my iphone 5 trying to get it out of my jeans, screen shattered. Took off my glass screen protector and the screen was perfectly fine.

8. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

From external damage? I'd say you're covered.

From internal damage? Not unless you wrap it in a pillow.

9. SundayDuffer macrumors 6502

SundayDuffer

10. newone757 macrumors 6502

Back skin can't stop dents to aluminum.