Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdwittenberg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
How can a user temporarily disable all notification behavior in iOS 6? "Do Not Disturb" allows banners -- I don't want banners.

Ideally, I'd love a simple toggle just as iOS 4 had under settings.

Why? I'd like to stream videos without being distracted by banners. This has been an issue since iOS 5. Now, I've jailbroken and am eager for an answer.

Thanks,
Mitch

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
How can a user temporarily disable all notification behavior in iOS 6? "Do Not Disturb" allows banners -- I don't want banners.

When the screen is on, like when watching videos, everything is allowed through, not just banners. 'Do Not Disturb' only works when the screen is off.

It amazes me how Apple shows parents using their iPads to teach their children, employees using them for presentations, and friends playing games together (sharing a device) when they don't allow us to turn off all notifications.

Sadly, too often the chance for something inappropriate to pop on screen outweighs all else and I end up using my iDevices less because of it.

It woukd be nice to have a toggle that killed all notifications...and would love to have user accounts (something that's been heavily requested since the introduction of the iPad).

Heavy Fluid

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
Thanks c0venant and cyks for responding.

Too bad there isn't a solution.

I simply turn the banners/popups off. I didn't want things popping up when I would show people pictures or videos or whatever on my phone. There is no need for them to see my email or text messages. I feel like the banners and popups are far too intrusive into the phone, and having them off is refreshing.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Have you tried BannerDisable? That's what I used to use on iOS 5 to block banners

Edit: It used to block UIAlertViews too but looks like the newest version removed that for some reason. If I were you and that's something I wanted to use, I would either contact the dev and asked for the older version which had that feature or I'd look for an old deb file. Another option would be to use the current version found in Cydia plus use something like PopupBlocker to block the UIAlertViews.

mdwittenberg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
@Heavy Fluid: I'm hoping to hang onto the ability to use banner notifications for all but watching movies and loaning my iPad. Personally, I do find value in banner alerts 80% of the time, though that 20% may drive me to disable them completely without the ability to toggle on/off.

@Ol!ver: Great idea for offline tasks, though I stream most of my media

@BumpyFlatline: Woo hoo! BannerDisable seems to do the trick for me; thank you so much. I'm not sure what more disabling "UIAlertViews" would do - are those the two button pop-ups that require a selection (aka "Alerts" according to Notification Center settings)?

Last edited:

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
I need to try that too. Hate to being talking to a hot chick and I get a sms from another chick.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
@Heavy Fluid: I'm hoping to hang onto the ability to use banner notifications for all but watching movies and loaning my iPad. Personally, I do find value in banner alerts 80% of the time, though that 20% may drive me to disable them completely without the ability to toggle on/off.

@Ol!ver: Great idea for offline tasks, though I stream most of my media

@BumpyFlatline: Woo hoo! BannerDisable seems to do the trick for me; thank you so much. I'm not sure what more disabling "UIAlertViews" would do - are those the two button pop-ups that require a selection (aka "Alerts" according to Notification Center settings)?

Awesome! Yea exactly. Those are popups. Glad this worked for you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.