Temporarily factory reset iPad, restore later?

MartinSpoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2011
UK
I'm pretty sure this will work but would like to confirm..

I want to factory reset my iPad for 1 week, so I can give it to my dad to use whilst he decides whether or not he wants to buy one. I know a complete reset is maybe overkill, but I wanted to give him an out-of-box experience, and as a minimum I'd want to remove my email accounts etc from it before I give it to him anyway.

I have backups saved on iCloud. Will it be straight forward to recover the iPad to one of my iCould backups a week later? I can't imagine it's difficult, I've just never tried it. I'm guessing I would reset the ipad again after I get it back, and restore as part of the setup process using my icloud login.

Thanks

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
In theory... yes that would work. My concern is some apps do not support iCloud backup of their settings, so you may find yourself spending a lot of time reentering settings.

What I would do instead is plug the iPad into iTunes and right click on the iPad under devices... then select backup. This will make a backup file on your computer that can be used to restore when you get the machine back.

When the machine comes back, just do a reset again then plug in to iTunes and do a restore using the backup you made.

Comment

MartinSpoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2011
UK
In theory... yes that would work. My concern is some apps do not support iCloud backup of their settings, so you may find yourself spending a lot of time reentering settings.

What I would do instead is plug the iPad into iTunes and right click on the iPad under devices... then select backup. This will make a backup file on your computer that can be used to restore when you get the machine back.

When the machine comes back, just do a reset again then plug in to iTunes and do a restore using the backup you made.
Good call, thanks for the tip.

Comment