Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

big duck

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
I'm lending a friend my macbook for a night so he can record something on garageband.

As much as I trust him, I have a suspicion he might vandalise my facebook or bid on something on ebay, since firefox remembers my passwords.

So, if I drag firefox out of applications and onto a pendrive, will i be able to stop it working and then drag it back on the next day? (I know it would work with most apps, but I don't know where firefox keeps passwords and cookies etc)

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
i glad you asked

you are at RISK!

you do NOT need to remove Firefox, your friend can use it if he want.

BUT.

You DO need to copy out your profile folder. and then delete the copy on your HDD. When you got your MB back, just copy it back to the original location.

( if you only delete firefox.app, while left the profile, your friend can easily download firefox and obtain all your passwords, Im not saying he would, but its right there)

The profile folder contain everything personal, without it, firefox just start all new.

you can find the location of your profile folder here (you dont need to create new profile tho, this link just meant to show you the location of the firefox profile folder, copy out folder "firefox", then delete it.)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'm lending a friend my macbook for a night so he can record something on garageband.

As much as I trust him, I have a suspicion he might vandalise my facebook or bid on something on ebay, since firefox remembers my passwords.

So, if I drag firefox out of applications and onto a pendrive, will i be able to stop it working and then drag it back on the next day? (I know it would work with most apps, but I don't know where firefox keeps passwords and cookies etc)

You don't need to do that. Make a new account on the Mac for your friend. When he loggs into that account he will not have access to any of the files, preferences and passwords in your login account. Just don't worry about it. Firefox keep all that kind of data in your home older and he can't get in there.

Well OK he can if you really wants to. All he need is a DVD or second hard drive to boot off of. But will he go to that much trouble? Maybe he will sell you computer on eBay. I think if you can trust him with a $1,000 computer the login password is good enough protection.

Just make him his own login account.

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
Something like the Facebook "vandalize" is all in good fun, but if you don't trust him to mess around with your money, well, then their is some issues you might need to talk over :D

And +1 to the new user account. That way he won't see all the "clutter" of your account anyway, things that he doesn't need to see both from the standpoint of your privacy and his efficient use of your computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.