Temporarily returing to Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Wee Beastie, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Wee Beastie macrumors regular

Hey all,

I have to return to Tiger for a bit as an oft used piece of equipment is not yet supported in Leopard. I suppose I can install Tiger the same way I did with Leopard. My question mainly involves my archive folder created during my upgrade to Leopard. I chose to archive and install. Do I need to keep the archive folder once I've successfully installed a new OS? Should the archive folder figure into my return to Tiger? I'm thinking that if I switch back to Tiger, then switch back to Leopard when the appropriate drivers become available, they will start stacking up. Please note that I haven't actually looked at the folder or its contents. If there is already a thread about this (I'm sorry if there is...too busy at work to search around right now) would you point me in its direction? Thanks in advance for your help. Give yourself a pat on the back for doing your part to help eradicate ignorance in the world.

the goods: 24" iMac 2.8
    equipment that I'm switching back to Tiger for: m-audio midi board

best,
    wee beastie

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The archive folder won't help you get back to Tiger and is safe to delete. :)

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

You could always make a little partition with Leopard's disk utility and put Tiger on that, then you could see it in Leopard and transfer files if you need to. Dunno how practical that is, but will there be some sort of update to support your board, software for the board or an interface program on the Mac?

4. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

arghh! Why aren't these early adopters cloning to an external hard drive before upgrading so they can easily boot into whatever version they want?

5. Wee Beastie thread starter macrumors regular

Because that makes sense. I don't want to break my track record of exercising a complete lack of foresight. :p

That might be worth trying for the time being. Frankly I'm not wild about "OS shuffle" that I'm about to engage in. M-Audio is working on an update, but they aren't saying when it will be available. Anything I should know/be wary of before I attempt this?

Thanks for the info!