Temporarily stop network access

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by askywalker, Aug 28, 2007.

1. askywalker macrumors regular

Is there a way to temporarily stop network access?

I usually use a LAN cable, so I could unplug it, but I thought there might be a more elegant solution. I don't see any icon that represents this ethernet connection's status - but I do see that I can check it out under System Preferences | Network. Is there a way to get an icon similar to the Power|IME|Sound|Airport...

Cheers!

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Flying Buttress can do it, it's scriptable so presumably you could put together a tiny Applescript to turn it on and off.

Someone also sells a switch that can disconnect the physical LAN cable.

3. askywalker thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting - with so many cool icons and such, I was hoping that I was just missing the OS X Network Icon. Flying Buttress looks cool - but wouldn't that only stop the incoming traffic? I could try it myself, but my Windows days have taught me to install apps sparingly and with extreme caution. :)

4. garybUK Guest

garybUK

sudo int ifdown en0

in termianll. jobs done. put it in a shell script and put a pretty icon on it if you want.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Create a new location and de-activate all the network ports in that location. Whenever you want no network just switch to that location.

6. askywalker thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I thought the location idea sounded simple - and actually I hadn't noticed the locations before - so wanted to learn them as I travel frequently. It works really well. Now if I could just convince 'Little Snitch' developers to add the option to filter all network activity except for a specific application I would be even happier. :p

btw - Gary thanks for pointing out the script way to do it. This is something I will be playing with in the future - but right now I just don't have enough time to get my head around it.

7. Cider macrumors newbie

I like Gary's suggestion. To simplify the matter you could create a script to toggle the port on and off.

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    # Script to toggle en0 (iMac primary network port) on and off.
    # -- Cider (Rhys) 29/08/07
    #
    if [ `ifconfig en0|grep -c "UP"` -eq 1 ]
    then
    echo Bringing network down
    sudo ifconfig en0 down
    else
    echo Bringing network up
    sudo ifconfig en0 up
    fi
    Rhys

8. garybUK Guest