Temporary Aluminum MB Protection?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macalacka, Nov 9, 2008.

1. macalacka macrumors newbie

Hey Everybody,

Just took the leap from a Toshiba Satellite (circa: dark ages) to an aluminum macbook. Its refreshing to have a machine that works the way it should and that there are so many helpful followers on here. My question is this:

I do a lot of traveling and my biggest problem was tearing out my laptop to throw into the grey bins. I was hoping someone has used/heard of a 3M style film or screen that i can coat my macbook with before the trip and then easily remove at my destination. I know there's a company that makes protectors for the underside but i think they are somewhat permanent.

Im hoping there's something out there thats similar to the material the macbook came wrapped up in, or those "adhesive" screen protectors you find on new cellphones, watches or anything with a screen. Any help or guidance would be great, thanks....TSA blows :)

oh, if you work for the TSA, i totally respect your job :rolleyes:

2. Mercellus macrumors regular

There is a product called "Invisible Shield" that should do what you are looking for. I have not yet personally tried it however it has gotten some pretty good reviews.

3. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

That's not really temporary though, which I think is what the OP is looking for, and quite expensive to just use and remove.

4. John585 macrumors member

5. dbdynsty25 macrumors regular

You have to take it out of the sleeve when you go through security...which is the whole point of this post...he wants something that is clear so he doesn't have to remove it. Like a shell of some sort.

6. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

I have an incase hardshell which I love. I travel a lot and have never been asked to remove it by TSA. It doesn't look like a case, it just looks like I have a purple laptop. I don't think they're out for the new MBs though, I'd definitely wait for something like that though.

7. John585 macrumors member

Won't security make you take it out of the case too?

8. dbdynsty25 macrumors regular

They just don't want it in a bag/sleeve or whatever. They don't look close enough when it's a hard shell or a silicone cover.

9. Knolly macrumors 6502a

They make bags that you can keep your laptop in during security these days, or are you opposed to getting a new bag?

10. macalacka thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont think i've ever heard of these bags, but im pretty sure that its going to have to come out no matter what. I've had friends try to place their books on the cases only to have the well mannered, friendly staff at TSA yank them out from underneath. Almost as if they were trying to keep the plates on the table as they yank the tablecloth out

I have heard of invisible shield but your right, they are expensive and more of a "permanent" solution from what i've read.

I may just need to swing by a craft or shipping store. I think some form of 3M film may work. As cheese as it's going to look, it should so the trick.

11. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Google "Checkpoint friendly laptop bags".

Here's a quick link to a few.

12. Tummy macrumors regular

I fly twice a week for work and keep my computer in the sleeve. It's a Incase neoprene sleeve.

It was actually a TSA agent who told me that I can save a couple seconds by keeping the computer in the sleeve. It's just that you have to take it out of the briefcase or other large computer bag first.

If you want temporary protection, just use several layers of regular plastic wrap (the kind used for food).

13. macalacka thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow.....i stand corrected! My skepticism has failed me Knolly, i apologize.

I will have to do some more research into these bags. I currently have a 13 inch neoprene incase sleeve. I guess my biggest fear was that TSA would try to take it out of my sleeve/case and handle it roughly.

Two questions do come up from the article Knolly that i was hoping you could clear up:
    I dont believe that the incase does this. Do they mean completly exposing the macbook save for the bottom of it?

Is the side the top? Im somewhat lost :(:(

14. macalacka thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, just did some research...looks like my incase sleeve will pass the test.

I think they meant the zipper cant obstruct the x-ray of the laptop...that's the big thing apparently

15. gibbz macrumors 68030

I have an incase sleeve and have never been told to take it from the case when passing through security.