Temporary files?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Enseep, May 22, 2009.

1. Enseep macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, thanks in advance if you can help me with this:

The last time I spoke to an Apple tech support person, he had me delete all of my temporary files (it was unrelated to the issue, but he suggested doing it to free up some space and speed things up). I'd like to perform this task again, but I can't seem to find the folder he had me clear out. In it were thousands of temporary files from the internet and applications (it was not the internet cache). I think he may have had me reveal hidden files, bit I'm not sure. Can anyone point me in the direction of these temporary files? Any help would be much appreciated!

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...if you are not really sure where to look or what exactly to delete then I'd recommend using a utility that will do it for you - Onyx is one that has this option and it's free too (also useful for other little tasks)....oh yeah!

3. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I don't know how to do it manually, but you can try Onyx. One of the best apps out there to help clear out temp files and keep OS X running smoothly. I use it all the time.

UPDATE: Duff-Man beat me to it.

4. Enseep thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick responses! I'd prefer to try to do it manually again--I have used Onyx and similar programs before, but I'm still curious if anyone knows which folder the tech support person might have had me empty. I'd like to know exactly where I'm cleaning up.

5. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

6. tallguy macrumors regular

He might have sent you to the library somewhere. You could see if you recognize anything in user/library/ then maybe one of those folders. You could check what's in the preferences folder.