Temporary imac purchase until refresh

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Poob Bubes, Apr 16, 2007.

  1. Poob Bubes macrumors 6502a

    Poob Bubes

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2007
    #1
    I've been waiting for an imac refresh for awhile but my need for a computer has forced me to go ahead and purchase a 20" c2d. My question is how practical would it be for me to purchase this and then sell it on ebay in a couple of months if new imacs come out. Would the resale value go down alot after the new imacs come out? Any advice or opinions appreciated.
     
  2. cmccarten macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2006
    #2
    That's a bad idea. You'll take a big hit if you sell it (at least $200-300+), just giving Apple more of your money for nothing more than a trivial incremental increase in speed. The iMac C2D is an awesome machine. Forget about trying to stay on the 'bleeding edge' of technology and appreciate what you've got! There will always be updates that you'll want - but remember the updates do not make your machine obsolete (although if you sell it, the buyers will treat it like it is).
    Do you desperately need that much more performance already? If so, buy a mac pro.
     
  3. Vidd macrumors 6502a

    Vidd

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2006
    #3
    If you need to buy it, buy it and keep it.
    The only reason to wait to buy a new system is that it isn't necessary at the moment.
     
  4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

    Zwhaler

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2006
    #4
    Bad idea. Especially because the next refresh will be minimal. If the speeds were to double, I could understand. But we are talking a difference less or around 10%.
     
  5. macjay macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2003
    #5
    The next refresh is likely to have a completely new design.

    Check the Buyer's Guide via the tab above for iMac rumors.
     
  6. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

    timswim78

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2006
    Location:
    Baltimore, MD
    #6
    I'd buy a refurb now. If a new iMac comes out, I'd wait for revision B so that all of the problems are worked out.
     
  7. Poob Bubes thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Poob Bubes

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2007
    #7
    I considered buying a refurb but after the apple store adds in taxes the price is about the same as a brand new imac from Amazon w/ free shipping option.
     
  8. macjay macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2003
    #8
    I'd buy the least expensive model that you can get away with until the new ones come out.
     
  9. roland.g macrumors 603

    roland.g

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2005
    Location:
    One mile up and soaring
    #9
    That would be a refurb Mini. That's what I did in October. I even got a printer with a $100 rebate with my refurb. I'll sell the Mini as soon as new iMacs are out. I got a 1.66 Superdrive Model (early 2006) for $649 and upped the RAM myself to 2GB. Hooked it up to my old monitor and it works great. I even have an Airport Extreme g edition and everything works great with my Apple TV. I would like to upgrade to a 24" iMac and will buy at WWDC, not waiting for Leopard, will just upgrade the OS later.
     

Share This Page