Temporary light bleeding when screen first turns on

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Fotobox, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Fotobox macrumors newbie

Hi All

I've just received a replacement iPad 2 under warranty because my previous one had a backlight leak issue when displaying darker tones on the screen.

The replacement doesn't do this, in fact it doesn't have even a hint of light bleeding / leaking, except when the screen is first turned on.

For example, I'll hit the sleep/wake button to bring it out of sleep, and there will be a yellowish bleed from around the bottom of the screen that appears. This fades over a couple of seconds until it is normal again.

Is this normal? If not, is it the sort of thing that will get worse over time?

Cheers,
    Sam

2. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

Wirelessly posted

If it goes away I'd probably not worry about. I've never experienced anything like that so the best I can say is keep an eye on it.

3. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

I don't have this issue with my iPad. If it really bothers you, just go to an Apple store and exchange it.

4. Fotobox thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately there's no Apple Store within a couple thousand miles of where I live, and the process for getting a replacement is quite a pain.

I've uploaded a video which shows the issue. Hopefully someone can explain what's happening in it.

As you can see it starts glowing at the bottom when the screen is first turned on, then gradually fades back to what I would consider to be 'normal'. After I swiped to unlock I went to the Photos app to display an image of 'black' (i.e. the screen is still on); there is no sign of light leaking here.

http://youtu.be/lzn2gvlp2KA

5. Fotobox thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know if this helps, but the higher I have the brightness the more obvious it is.

Could it be an issue with one of the lights that does the backlighting?

6. Gol27 macrumors regular

I'm afraid You have has what people call light bleed. There're loads of threads in this forum on the topic, and it's a common problem. If you Want to test it further turn the brightness to full and look at a completely black image and you get to see the extent of the problem.