Temporary Tethering plan (one month) allowed by AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Derek87, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Derek87 macrumors 6502

hi all,

sorry if this has been answered before, but i couldn't find anything in my searching the forum archives nor on the AT&T forum:

- can one temporarily (ie, for one month) sign up for the $20/month tethering option during, for example, a vacation to use the iphone to get internet access on a laptop or ipad?

i am *assuming* that this is possible since AT&T allows one to up and downgrade readily between the 200mb and 2gb data plans, on a monthly basis.

but has anyone done this in practice?

i'm interested in doing this on occasion, and knowing whether this will work or not will possibly determine whether i buy a next gen ipad with or without 3G (assuming they continue to differentiate the line with two models)

thanks!

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Yes you can.

You can change your minutes, text or data plan when ever you'd like, just go to wireless.att.com or download the AT&T app (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/myat-t/id309172177?mt=8) for your phone and go to the "Feature" tab to make changes whenever you want.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, like said above.
    You can add, cancell or remove services at any time.

4. Derek87 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks guys! i've done the whole 200 to 2000 mb back and forth, but wanted to make sure that was also true for the tethering option from someone who has done it. (i would hate to do it and find out that i can't drop that feature after using it on a business trip, etc.)

5. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

The biggest catch is that you can't add it to the unlimited data plan. If you already have a limited data plan, then you should be good to go.

6. PLin macrumors 6502

You can temporarily add and remove tethering whenever you want, but be careful if you add it for a partial month to go on 1 week vacation or something.

For example, say you have the 2GB plan, and you want to add tethering 2 weeks into your billing cycle and keep it for a week while you're on vacation. Your 2GB plan will be prorated, so if you used more than 1GB in those first 2 weeks, you'll be charged extra.

When you want to change it back a week later, if you've used more than 25% of what the tethering plan allows, you'll be charged extra too.

7. NightStorm macrumors 68000

This is my plan as well... buy a 64GB iPad 2 wifi model and use my iPhone 4 with personal hotspot enabled when I'm on vacation. I'm glad they finally made this option available to people who own both devices.

8. godspropy macrumors newbie

Does AT&T prorate the charge for the first 2 weeks of the 2GB plan and the 1 week of the 4GB tethering charge along with the data?

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

OP: Your best bet is to sign up for it at the beginning of your cycle and cancel it at the beginning of the next cycle just to be safe. Its 20 dollars and you get it for the whole month.

10. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

If you have unlimited and you do this, you won't get it back.

11. MarkG21 macrumors regular

Yes, everything is prorated