Temporary UI Lag fix on Macbook Pro Retina 13 late 2012

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by ChrisDB, Oct 29, 2014.

1. ChrisDB macrumors member

ChrisDB

Hello there,

In Yosemite , I have massive UI lag , in mission control , safari with heavy websites , even in folders and settings , is unacceptable but I found a fix .

Instal AutoCAD trial from their website , run it than close it and that's it , the lag is almost gone . I don't know how this is happening , but AutoCAD seems to have a fix for the lag .

2. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

There is a massive thread on the Apple discussion board about this very thing. I don't understand, how could running AutoCAD fix the UI lag? I don't doubt you, OP, I just genuinely don't understand.

Can somebody please explain it to me?

3. ChrisDB thread starter macrumors member

ChrisDB

Seems that AutoCAD and also 3d programs like Maya do this . Is def. a software problem .

4. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

If I remember correctly I heard about this very same workaround for choppy graphics when the first Retina MBP was released. I'm going to try it later on my rMBP, thanks for reminding me!

EDIT: Yes, I remembered correctly.

5. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

Unfortunately on my rMBP this trick didn't work. I'm back to Mavericks and all works well now.

6. drew627 macrumors regular

It's because the program uses a lot of resources like RAM, in which case the OS would free cached/inactive/non-wired RAM. After you close AutoCAD, the resources are freed so the graphics performance picks up. This is similar to doing a RAM "purge" in the terminal.