Temporary work around for proximity sensor issues, until the official fix from Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by squeakr, Jul 23, 2010.

1. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I thought everyone might like this one. My wife has incredible problems with the proximity sensor on her i4, and last night she came up with a solution. I thought it was pretty clever, so I am passing it on here.
    She said that when she was in a call somehow she got switched to contacts (we all now how this happens, but she was unsure what she had done to make it happen) and had the green bar at the top (press to go back to active phone call bar). I explained she had gone into the contacts section of the phone while on a call. She found that since the phone activities were no longer on the screen, no more mutes, hang-ups, face dials, etc. occurred for her no matter what she did. So for the time being her resolution (although this is basic, it will work for everyone) is to leave the active call, while still on the call, to keep the phone actions from being activated by her face while on a call.
    Hey.. it is not perfect, but it works for her, makes her happy, and we were able to talk for an hour without any of the past problems (she is across the country and no where near an Apple store to have them look at it, so in the meantime this will work for her). So if you find yourself in this position, it may be a handy work around in the meantime while waiting for the official fix from Apple.
    I just though it was a clever idea (usually she doesn't think about things like this) and since it works for her and enables her to make calls without problems, I am ecstatic (at least maybe she will stop complaining about the issue, yet I have to remind her that SHE was the one that wanted the phone so bad, and now she has it soooo bad!):D

2. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

There's a helluva lot of extra crap you have to go through to actually make a call lol. :rolleyes:

3. squeakr thread starter macrumors 68000

squeakr

What's so much extra?? Start the call then exit the call screen to something else, i.e. the contact screen, home screen, etc by hitting the home button or selecting contacts through button at bottom of keypad. I don't see the big deal, if it allows one to have an uninterrupted call. Then to end the call, touch the green bar and then hang up. Yes a couple of extra steps, but if you were on a call and had as many issues and problems as she has this is very little to ask, IMHO. It can't be any worse than every three seconds activating the speakerphone, mute, hang-up, or facetime, and then having to unactivate it, and then repeat in three seconds (yes she has a terrible issue). These couple of extra button touches is a lot less in the end.

4. DrFillster macrumors member

Yeah, I was doing the same thing until it decided to call ANOTHER contact and start a 3 -way conversation. This proximity sensor thing is dangerous LOL!

Seriously, hope they come up with the fix before my 30 days is up.

Phil

5. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Someone should come up with a Dumb App. An app that does absolutely nothing and is a blank screen. Maybe just a logo or something. So you can launch it when you're in a call and not have to worry because there is nothing to press with your cheek. Is there any app out there that's already like this naturally? Just something that happens to have no buttons?

6. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Great idea. And if this app takes off it will be such bad press for Apple that they will have to get off their asses and fix this damn problem already.

Imagine that- an app to let you have a workaround so you can actually use your iPhone as a phone.

To the OP- congrats on the workaround, but if you really want to help, please contact Apple and report your problem. See my signature below.

7. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

Return the phone and pick up another phone while they fix the problem (antenna, proximity sensor issues).

I feel it is not worth the hassle of getting disconnected from an important call :eek:

8. BuiltforSin macrumors regular

BuiltforSin

Do you have to restore you iPhone before jailbreaking? That way it saves a back up file on your computer?

9. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

There is! "Just light Flashlight". It's just a blank screen :D