Temprature.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tarek, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Tarek macrumors 6502

Hello,

I would like to know if my macbook pro's temperature is normal:

[​IMG]

It's higher when I am running Windows through Boot Camp (I'm running Windows 7 but OS doesn't make a difference, just the boot camp itself) but it's usually very low (I don't feel that it is hot when I touch it) when I am running Macintosh. I don't know if the fans don't function well on the Windows side, and I've tried using software like SpeedFan (or w.e) but it can't even detect the fans.

The laptop has been connected to AC Power since morning. As well as external monitor, USB keyboard & mouse. Also a stereo speaker.

Thanks a lot.

2. Nate.Newton macrumors newbie

Nate.Newton

That is very hot from what I've seen on other notebooks. Thats running around 221 degrees on the Fahrenheit scale. I would get other opinions but it still seems a bit much.

-N

3. segers909 macrumors regular

Its normal. Macbooks get hot. In OS X, you can use SMC Fancontrol to higher the rpm of your fans and reducing the temps if you want to.

4. vant macrumors 65816

The MBP peaks around 85C+ depending on ambient.

Idles around 40-45C depending on ambient.

5. p3ncil macrumors regular

In mac, use SMC to change the min fan speed to around 3500 - 4000.
    Restart.

Boot into windows.
    Job done.

Or if you are gaming.
    you might want a higher value.

6. Tarek thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, sir, I have it. I sometimes use it when I am switching from windows to mac so the notebook would cool off a bit, but I don't really need it 90% of the time. And yeah, MacBooks tend to get hot!

7. AaronX macrumors member

My record is 100C on the CPU. In preparation for summer I'm thinking of elevating my MBP, or maybe more drastic measures...

8. netsped macrumors 6502

I installed windows 7 yesterday in my macbook and after about 30 minutes all the computer was really hot, on Mac OS if I put my hand on the top left corner near the ESC key it just feels like warm but under windows 7 it was really hot, and the bottom was hotter.

This morning I deleted the bootcamp partition and decided I will wait until apple gives official support to windows 7 under bootcamp.

9. Tarek thread starter macrumors 6502

AaronX, Woah! 100C is a lot. You need to do something about that or it might actually explode in the summer. Don't take this as a joke!

p3ncil, I've never tried that but I think when you change it on the Macintosh system using SMC it doesn't do anything when you reboot and log on Windows. It's just to increase speed while you're working on Macintosh. But I'm going to try that anyhow and I hope you're right.

netsped, it doesn't really matter what version of Windows you're installing, it just gets hot but not to the extent that you can not touch it you know. I know it doesn't get that hot when you're on Macintosh, you can barely feel it warm, but I think that's a flaw due to Boot Camp itself anyway, not the version of the OS.

By the way, sorry about the typo (title).

10. cababah macrumors 68000

I hit 105C..no explosion. I don't think these computers are sustaining these temps in the CPU; it is just touching it and then the fans kick in. I bet a lot of Macs do it but what % of Mac users actually report temperatures via iStat instead of just saying "Uhhh my computer gets hot"?

11. prodigee macrumors 6502a

You guys are reading the image wrong.

TJMax is the max temp the processor can reach before the computer turns itself off to protect the chip. What you need to look at is the the core temp #1 and core #2 that is the current temp there is no need to worry about the TJ Max temp.

I hope I helped.