Temps for iMac g5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by plodkiller, May 11, 2012.

1. plodkiller macrumors newbie

I recently bought a G5 iMac 1.8 20" 2 gb 400gb.

The machine runs nicely except I am a little worried by the temps. Frequently when doing stuff like burning a cd or other things that I wouldn't necessarily would think would stress the machine the temps shoot up into the low 70's C. I do not hear the fans ramp up. I have blown out the fans but there was not much dust in there. Is there a way the check the fans are actually working properly. I am using Temp monitor to check the temperatures.

Thx

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

I'd say 70 is quite normal, depending on CPU load. Use iStat or Hardware Monitor to check fans speed. Reset PRAM and PMU.
    To lower temps, you could replace thermal paste on CPU and GPU heatsinks.

3. plodkiller thread starter macrumors newbie

I downloaded iStat menus and it says the temps are quite a bit lower....it cannot tell me though if the fans are spinning. Is there any other program that would be able to do it.......and would I be able to hear them if they were working.....I might just replace them just in case

4. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

70C? I wouldn't worry about it, normal for a G5 in a case that small I'd reckon. I could be wrong tho.

I used to have a Pentium D Extreme Box that used to crank up 90C under load, thing was like a space heater.