Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apb89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
I am getting more and more tempted by Android as of late, mostly due to iOS stagnation and certain decisions Apple has made. Unfortunately I am on Verizon... I wish I could get a Nexus 4, unfortunately won't work on **** CDMA. I am kinda tempted to buy an off contract Galaxy Nexus. Can anyone comment on how that phone is on Verizon (I know it lacks updates, ****** Verizon bloatware/lockdown including Google Wallet, etc.)

Truth is I wish I could buy a Samsung GS3, but it is too expensive off contract. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
If you're going to try an android phone, definitely go for a Nexus, other handset makers load it up with custom bloat and skins that slow it down. Also you'll be slow to receive updates as handset makers have to approve the update to work with their custom skin.

I switched from an iPhone 5 to a Nexus 4 a few days ago.

KnightMan

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
Well if you're just bored, and can hold out till summer, I'd get the GS4. Otherwise I would try to get a used GS3 for now. I know a lot of people like the Nexus line for it's updates. But for me the Nexus line is more for the tech geek. I love this current version of touchwiz.
Oh and I should add that the bigger battery and expandable storage is a huge plus for me.

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Verizon seriously slows down even Nexus updates (months). I will never get another Verizon device.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
I am getting more and more tempted by Android as of late, mostly due to iOS stagnation and certain decisions Apple has made. Unfortunately I am on Verizon... I wish I could get a Nexus 4, unfortunately won't work on **** CDMA. I am kinda tempted to buy an off contract Galaxy Nexus. Can anyone comment on how that phone is on Verizon (I know it lacks updates, ****** Verizon bloatware/lockdown including Google Wallet, etc.)

Truth is I wish I could buy a Samsung GS3, but it is too expensive off contract. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

sell your iphone on CL or ebay. Buy S3 with cash received from iphone. Root S3 and delete bloatware. Install ROM of choice (AOKP or CM10 are most popular and have a lot of devs working on them. Very stable roms). Get updates and latest OS whenever you want. Easy.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I'm not on Verizon, but I recently got a Galaxy Nexus and I've been really happy with it so far. Like you, I wanted the SGIII but needed to put cash towards other purposes. Now, I don't feel I've missed out. This phone is nice.

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
I just made the move back to iOS after being on android since apple decided to screw iPhone 3G users, the good thing is everything runs smooth, the very bad is, it's almost the same as iOS back then.

I really miss google now, i'm not entirely sure if i'll keep the iPhone5 or go back to the S2.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Check out the HTC Droid DNA ... it's not for everybody, but its the latest 1080p phone in the US.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Check out the HTC Droid DNA ... it's not for everybody, but its the latest 1080p phone in the US.

The unlock button is on the top center, worst mistake by HTC. Avoid the DNA, if I were you, I would just avoid Verizon. They just love crippling Android phones.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Thanks!
I've had my Galaxy S III since they were released. It's been extremely reliable, fast and fun. I have confidence you would enjoy one. Compared to my iPhone 4S, and iPhone 5, both of which I enjoy, I still prefer the Android OS.

1) If you're going to try an android phone, definitely go for a Nexus, other handset makers load it up with custom bloat and skins that slow it down.

2) Also you'll be slow to receive updates as handset makers have to approve the update to work with their custom skin.

1a) Every carrier adds their own Apps to the various smartphones (other than iPhone) they carry. While it's highly fashionable to label it "bloat" and claim it slows the phone down, it simply is _not_ true. Here's why. Unlike years ago, these new phones have very fast processors, that will speed along very nicely. Also AT&T most specifically has reduced the apps they install, so there's no impact whatsoever. If you don't like seeing the icons, you simply hide them. There is no reason to remove the software. Aided by lots of memory, there's simply no problem.

How do I know this? Simple really. My current Android phones are:

1) Galaxy S III
2) Galaxy Note II
3) Nexus 4

Every one of these phones is just as it came out of the box, and all perform in an exemplary fashion.

2) This is not true either. The handset makers work very close with the Android people so their phones are designed to run Android as it's designed.

Here's what _Is_ true:
It's the carriers like AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint that make their own mods to the OS, and that's why often the OS upgrades take a very long time before they're pushed to your phone.

That said, unlike the past years, any version of Android over 4.0.0 is such a good OS, there's really no need to upgrade as the changes are very incremental.

I've had every Galaxy model since day one. Galaxy S, Galaxy S II, and now Galaxy S III, so I do speak from a lot of experience.

Cheers :)

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I really pains me to say this, but I don't mind Touch Wiz all that much. The experience on the Galaxy SIII has been pretty awesome so far.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
sell your iphone on CL or ebay. Buy S3 with cash received from iphone. Root S3 and delete bloatware. Install ROM of choice (AOKP or CM10 are most popular and have a lot of devs working on them. Very stable roms). Get updates and latest OS whenever you want. Easy.

From ICS version onwards you can disable "bloatware"/stock apps from the application setting. You dont need to root/custom rom to do that. Unless you really have some compelling reasons for custom ROM, the stock ROM is probably more stable and less problematic.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I really pains me to say this, but I don't mind Touch Wiz all that much. The experience on the Galaxy SIII has been pretty awesome so far.

I rooted my phone and flashed a custom AOSP ROM on my GS3 the day I got it so I barely got to experience TW. Now it's been about 2 weeks on a Samsung based ROM (4.1.2) and I am actually really enjoying TW!

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
That said, unlike the past years, any version of Android over 4.0.0 is such a good OS, there's really no need to upgrade as the changes are very incremental.

The move to 4.2 was incremental overall, but that does not mean all updates from this point forward will be.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
From ICS version onwards you can disable "bloatware"/stock apps from the application setting. You dont need to root/custom rom to do that. Unless you really have some compelling reasons for custom ROM, the stock ROM is probably more stable and less problematic.

Yes, I am aware of disabling bloatware from 4.x onwards. I recommend that option for some people based upon their needs, however in this case the OP wants OS updates quickly. So leaving it on the stock ROM with AT&T or Verizon is not an option he would like. Hence, my recommendation for a custom ROM.

As for ROM stability, there are nightly versions and there are stable 'monthly' versions of AOKP and CM10 ROM's put out by the Cyanogen Mod team of developers. These monthly ROM's are better and more stable than any OS update the idiots at AT&T put out. I don't know about Verizon?

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
The move to 4.2 was incremental overall, but that does not mean all updates from this point forward will be.

Incremental is an understatement in this case. Some very major and key updates in 4.2

1. Multi user accounts on one tablet
2. 360 degree photosphere (Apple will copy this feature within a year, and then call it iPhotosphere and try to patent it. Just wait.)
3. Wireless mirroring to any hdmi tv. Requires a small plug in receiver for the tv. But you can mirror your display wirelessly and to any tv.
4. Notification center now allows you to expand and contract information on a per notification basis by a simple swipe up or down.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Incremental is an understatement in this case. Some very major and key updates in 4.2

1. Multi user accounts on one tablet
2. 360 degree photosphere (Apple will copy this feature within a year, and then call it iPhotosphere and try to patent it. Just wait.)
3. Wireless mirroring to any hdmi tv. Requires a small plug in receiver for the tv. But you can mirror your display wirelessly and to any tv.
4. Notification center now allows you to expand and contract information on a per notification basis by a simple swipe up or down.

4. Wasn't this implemented in 4.1.1 where it was 2 fingers and 1 finger in 4.1.2?

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
4. Wasn't this implemented in 4.1.1 where it was 2 fingers and 1 finger in 4.1.2?

Expand the info by allowing full interaction with it. i.e. An email is sent. You get a notification. Swipe down to expand. Options are now available at the bottom. In this case, you can email the person back without ever leaving the notification center.

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough and since I use some of the features already, it is hard to remember when and what updates are stock.

Also, I forgot to add GMail update will likely be sent to everyone once Jelly Bean 4.2 is fully released.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Expand the info by allowing full interaction with it. i.e. An email is sent. You get a notification. Swipe down to expand. Options are now available at the bottom. In this case, you can email the person back without ever leaving the notification center.

Oh wow that sounds pretty cool. The way I have it on 4.1.2 is you can expand it to show more info and sometimes get options but those take you to the app. Can't wait for my Nexus 4 to arrive! :D

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada

I really liked Sense when I was using an HTC phone. Now that I am using an SGS3, I miss some of the things I had with Sense. I'm not sure where the skins end and native Android begins. I'd have to do a side by side comparison. I have noticed that my friends Nexus S did not have a number of things I had with my HTC Desire Z.

I currently use Nova Prime launch on my SGS3. Not sure how much of TW is still visible with it. I just go with what works and what is available without worrying about what is TW or not.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I really liked Sense when I was using an HTC phone. Now that I am using an SGS3, I miss some of the things I had with Sense. I'm not sure where the skins end and native Android begins. I'd have to do a side by side comparison. I have noticed that my friends Nexus S did not have a number of things I had with my HTC Desire Z.

I currently use Nova Prime launch on my SGS3. Not sure how much of TW is still visible with it. I just go with what works and what is available without worrying about what is TW or not.

IMO the added features Samsung puts on the s3 are really cool. Picture in picture and lift on a contact to call are a few

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
IMO the added features Samsung puts on the s3 are really cool. Picture in picture and lift on a contact to call are a few

I haven't used picture in picture. I'm not sure what you mean lift on a contact. Is this something with the widget or shortcut?

The differences I noticed when switching from an HTC Desire Z with Sense and SGS3 with TouchWiz are as follows:

• SGS3 has a bunch of controls on the notification bar. The one I use most often is the auto-rotate. I turn it off if I'm using my phone in bed as I am lying on my side. On my DZ, I use a widget on my home screen to toggle auto-rotate.
  • The SGS3 has the battery percentage indicator. On the DZ, I use a widget.
  • The DZ has a better dialler. You enter a few digits and it narrows down to a few contacts on a list. On the SGS3, I have to tap a button to see a list. The DZ requires fewer taps to call people.
  • The SGS3 has a dock on the bottom to store any apps you choose. The DZ just has the default Sense short cuts like phone an settings.
  • The DZ has Scenes. These are different sets of home screens. I don't use it as it slows the phone down even more.
  • Sense moves screen objects around as you rearrange home screen objects. I don't think the SGS3 does this on its own. I use Nova Prime launcher and now objects get repositioned.
  • Sense has way more built-in widgets to choose from. I think some of them are amongst the best that I like. I love their twitter widget which is what I miss most of all.

There are more differences. Some may be due to GB on the DZ vs. ICS on the SGS3. I don't have a Nexus device, so I don't know what the difference between pure Android and Sense/TW.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas

I use Nova Prime as well, and love it. I thought the switch to Android would be a rocky one, but so far the ride has been great! :D

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I haven't used picture in picture. I'm not sure what you mean lift on a contact. Is this something with the widget or shortcut?

The differences I noticed when switching from an HTC Desire Z with Sense and SGS3 with TouchWiz are as follows:

• SGS3 has a bunch of controls on the notification bar. The one I use most often is the auto-rotate. I turn it off if I'm using my phone in bed as I am lying on my side. On my DZ, I use a widget on my home screen to toggle auto-rotate.
  • The SGS3 has the battery percentage indicator. On the DZ, I use a widget.
  • The DZ has a better dialler. You enter a few digits and it narrows down to a few contacts on a list. On the SGS3, I have to tap a button to see a list. The DZ requires fewer taps to call people.
  • The SGS3 has a dock on the bottom to store any apps you choose. The DZ just has the default Sense short cuts like phone an settings.
  • The DZ has Scenes. These are different sets of home screens. I don't use it as it slows the phone down even more.
  • Sense moves screen objects around as you rearrange home screen objects. I don't think the SGS3 does this on its own. I use Nova Prime launcher and now objects get repositioned.
  • Sense has way more built-in widgets to choose from. I think some of them are amongst the best that I like. I love their twitter widget which is what I miss most of all.

There are more differences. Some may be due to GB on the DZ vs. ICS on the SGS3. I don't have a Nexus device, so I don't know what the difference between pure Android and Sense/TW.

If you are on someone's name on your contact and lift the phone to your ear, it will call them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.