Tempted to buy a MacBook Pro...random musings

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wolfpup, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

So, because of the icon vulerability on Windows, I'm not willing to go online with my systems-stuck on my iPod right now. (And before you say anything, Microsof is in third behind Oracle and Apple for vulnerabilities, so this is hardly a Microsoft only issue).

Point is though, I've been toying with using this as an excuse to buy another Mac...or possibly iPad, nut I can't decide what.

The 13" is handy as it costs less, and is easier to haul around if I'm also keeping my Asus with me-quite possibly won't switch over entirely to OS X.

It's bad though because of the smaller screen, and the hardware's the same or worse than my current notebook-and what's the fun in that?

I guess if I'm going 15", I'd do the most expensive config so I have better compatibitu and performance with Windows games (assuming Nvidia's reference drivers even install because of the non-standard graphics switching-anyone know?)

Actually, if I can't install Nvidia's reference drivers, then maybe I don't need the high end model anyway, since I'd be getting it mostly for Windows. Does anyone know for sure? Maybe the cheapest 15" or cheapest 13" *is* the way to go for me, if I'm not really able to use Windows the way I'd need anyway.

If I can use Nvidia's drivers on Windows, then the 17" is also tempting. Right now at work I use an external sceen, but for home, and if I ever was stuck without my external monitor, then I'd really want as large as possible. Basically the 17" is the same price for me-lose 133mhz and 1MB cache, gain 2"...fair enough.

But I'm not sure it'll fit in my current bag-it's 2" longer than my current notebook. Worse, I'm not sure it'll fit at the same time as a mouse on my little stand at home... So maybe 15" is more practical for me'. (I couldn't care less about weight or size besides those issues-it could weigh 15lbs for all I care. )

Also, I like that the 17" has a matte screen option, but dislike that it has a silver border. Okay, that's shallow, and I'm all for function over looks, but still, the black looks so much better in pictures lol

Oh, and if you buy the system on Amazon, how do you activate/buy Apple Care?

How hard is replacing the hard drive? The angled screws sinus tricky?

Can you use the larger 85 watt PSU on the 13" model?

Does the video output support HDCP for Blu Rays under Windows? Assuming you can even get nvidia's drivers installed to begin with...

Thoughts? :)

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

3. creeman macrumors 6502

I think you need to stop being so paranoid about vulnerabilities on your computer. Contrary to popular belief, there are also vulnerabilities and viruses on Macs...

4. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

5. Mpalmieri1203 macrumors member

I Just got my base 15" MBP on Monday. It's replacing a 15" from 2007. The new machine is just incredible. The unibody itself is such an upgrade over the previous multipiece casing.

So with that said, I purchased the base machine and added a 500GB momentus XT and 8GB ram myself. newegg had a great deal on buying them both together. Cmae to around $300 even.

Performance on Starcraft 2 was not the best but as soon as I turned the shadows to low everything else can be set to high with an average of about 45FPS.

My Steam games ,TF2, Day of Defeat, Torchlight, Civ 4. They all run on the maximum settings without issue. The machine is also as fast as lightening. If you really want to game and gaming is important to you I would really pickup a desktop.

I'm more of a console player as I own all 3 but I supplement it with my MBP. SC2 is just a must have title that will keep me busy for a year.

I would personally avoid installing windows just to play videogames. If thats what you plan on doing and will be your primary use pick up something on the PC side.

6. Mpalmieri1203 macrumors member

I'd also suggest squaretrade.com to cover your MBP for $50 more you can get drop and spill coverage. AC doesn't cover drops, or spills.

Replacing the HD is so easy. I replaced mine on my 2007 model and while not difficult it really required you to pay attention. THe HD replacement here was a joke!!

7. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Oh yeah...I guess your old one would be from before it was officially user accessible-yucky.

So you didn't have issues with the tilted/angled screws? The manual makes it sound tricky.

Momentus XT + 8GB sounds like great plan :)

You're playing those games under OS X, right? I still hope to find out if Nvidia's reference drivers will install on Windows, because if not, I think I'll just save cash and go with one of the two cheaper configs.

8. Mpalmieri1203 macrumors member

Yes I'm running all of those games on osx. I really suggest stepping up to the 15". That 13" model while great is running on a 3 year old processor.

9. Mpalmieri1203 macrumors member

The screws are extremely easy to remove there is no issue and it's very very easy.

10. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Awesome! Thanks!

Well, just need to find out if Nvidia's drivers work on the Windows side so I can decide between a 256 and 512mb video RAM system :-D

11. 7thMac macrumors 6502

Viruses can exist but as a practical matter I don't think that any have spread widely in the real world.