iPhone 11 Pro Tempted to Buy

retta283

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Kingman, AZ
I've been using a 6S for a while now, and had no real temptation to upgrade. But seeing pictures of the midnight green color, and the wide angle lens is tempting me to get one. I like to use my phone to take video/pictures during hiking trips, and it would be nice to have the much better water resistance. I'd also find the wide angle lens useful for my photos that I take out there. Considering I am not a very heavy user, the battery in the Max would last me ages.

Even though I am not a huge fan of large phones, I find the aspect ratio on the Max is quite decent, but I would be using it more two-handed now. I could always get the Max and if I don't like it, swap out for the regular sized Pro. I know some will recommend the 11, but there's a few reasons for me to go with the Pro.

1. Three lens setup, having the telephoto would be great too.
2. Slightly better battery life than 11 if I go for Max
3. OLED would be great to have
4. Better water resistance
5. Midnight Green

Another thought is that if I'm gonna buy a flagship, I might as well go for something that I know I'm gonna use for a while. This phone would hold me over for at least 3 more years. I am not interested in 5G. Not at all.

retta283

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Do eeeeet.

And I really think you’d be happier with the Pro coming from a 6s (versus the Pro Max). Still a very one-handed device and has all the same advantages.
I've been looking at pictures/videos of the two compared tonight. I am going to go to the store tomorrow and see how they feel. I'm pretty sure the actual chassis size of the 6S and Pro are very close

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I've been using a 6S for a while now, and had no real temptation to upgrade. But seeing pictures of the midnight green color, and the wide angle lens is tempting me to get one. I like to use my phone to take video/pictures during hiking trips, and it would be nice to have the much better water resistance. I'd also find the wide angle lens useful for my photos that I take out there. Considering I am not a very heavy user, the battery in the Max would last me ages.

Even though I am not a huge fan of large phones, I find the aspect ratio on the Max is quite decent, but I would be using it more two-handed now. I could always get the Max and if I don't like it, swap out for the regular sized Pro. I know some will recommend the 11, but there's a few reasons for me to go with the Pro.

1. Three lens setup, having the telephoto would be great too.
2. Slightly better battery life than 11 if I go for Max
3. OLED would be great to have
4. Better water resistance
5. Midnight Green

Another thought is that if I'm gonna buy a flagship, I might as well go for something that I know I'm gonna use for a while. This phone would hold me over for at least 3 more years. I am not interested in 5G. Not at all.
The 6s was great, aside from a weird overheating home button while charging overnight issue I had to resolve with a replacement. Still one of my favorite iPhones, especially compared to the 6. I tried a 6 Plus and hated it, always crashing from 1GB RAM and was so bulky and difficult to hold (this was before the one handed keyboard capability though). The standard 11 pro feels about the same as a 6s, just ever so slightly larger and the main difference you’ll probably notice is the weight. The Max is going to be massive and heavy, likely requiring two handed use if you feel like a 6s is a good size for you.

Also worth noting during iFixit’s live tear down they didn’t see anything to suggest better water resistance on the 11 Pro, though maybe a better grill cover mechanism or something could be evident with more prodding. I know in past years the iPhones seemed to survive much deeper in various tests, so I wouldn’t worry too much about that feature in particular. That being said, OLED is fantastic and even better it has 3X retina instead of 2X on the 11 so things like text are even crisper (it’s subtle, but still noticeable if you have good near vision from the closer distance an iPhone is typically held).

iKnowMr.Jobs

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2010
Despite telling myself that I wouldn’t, I upgraded from my XS to the 11 Pro and I’m very delighted with my last second change in decision. The camera(s) alone make it so worth it. Night mode is amazing, Ultra-Wide lens that’s certainly going to come handy and the telephoto lets us so much more light than the previous models, it make me wonder how Portait mode ever worked to begin with (which btw, is much improved on the new model as well). I also have appreciated the display improvements. The I rarely found the XS display to be too dim for outdoor use, but I’m glad the new one can get a bit brighter for those few scenarios. The black levels have definitely been improved as well, something that I could see even without doing a side-by-side comparison.Battery life is insane too. My phone has been in use non-stop from 6:30pm through now (~11:30pm) with snapping photos, browsing the web and at least 2 hours of the GPS getting hammered with Pokémon Go & Uber and I’m only at 60%.

Even from an XS, the upgrade is pretty substantial. From a 6S, it’ll be a quantum leap.

Reactions: Bethanie21

retta283

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Kingman, AZ
After looking at the store today, the 11 Pro is actually quite compact compared to the Max, and to a lesser extent the 11. Battery life isn't as good, but I don't think the hit is drastic enough for it to affect my usage. I also thought I might be able to trade in my son's old iPhone 6 and maybe my 6S, and use the money saved to get me to 128. That extra space will come in handy with all the video/pictures.

hirsthirst

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2008
UK
My daughter has a 6S & I've been erasing / cleaning it this weekend as she's moved up take my previous X - I was struck by how thin (shallow, front to back) & light it is. An 11 Pro would be a great upgrade, but the 11 Pro Max might feel like lugging around a surfboard by comparison.

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I thought I'd be upgrading today but, after walking in to the Apple store and comparing the 11 Pro to the iPhone X, I decided not to.

Looked like a nice phone but as I don't use a case, the back of the phone felt slippery compared to the X and noticeably thicker as well. I'll be waiting till next year this time round. Strange as I felt certain that I'd be walking out with a new phone today... looked at the titanium watch... but still preferred my SBSS s4... I'm thinking about checking in with the Docs to make sure I'm alright 😂