Tempted to wait again

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
3,566
95
After hearing all this talk of merom and how good it will be blah blah blah I'm tempted to cancel my MBP order (If I can it hasnt shipped yet) and wait but I dont know if I really need merom. I've been told I dont if all I do is surf the net/mp3s/chat/flash games the occasional photoshop and MS office! I dont know what to do :(
 

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
1,554
0
Nelson, BC. Canada
viccles said:
After hearing all this talk of merom and how good it will be blah blah blah I'm tempted to cancel my MBP order (If I can it hasnt shipped yet) and wait but I dont know if I really need merom. I've been told I dont if all I do is surf the net/mp3s/chat/flash games the occasional photoshop and MS office! I dont know what to do :(
If you can wait, it's always worth waiting for the next best thing.

You may not think you need Merom now, but may in a year or so - or if you decide to sell your machine, it'll be worth that little bit extra to someone who does need the extra power.

Of course if you can't wait, then the MBP sounds like it'll be plenty for your current needs.
 

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
3,566
95
The thing is I can wait...I suppose I can always put my order on again if nothing much eventuates. Id like to have the laptop before I go back to university on the 11th
 

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
3,566
95
tristan said:
The 11th! You're five days late! :)

Yeah, I'd wait a couple more weeks, but keep in mind that when the upgraded MBP is announced there's no guarantee that it will be shipping immediately.
Its a hard choice but at least if I know whats coming out I can make up my mind then whether to buy it or not. I dont know when I ring up whether I should tell them I want to wait or make up some excuse that I changed my mind
 

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
765
0
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
You're doing the right thing, especially since you're spending the extra $$$ to go pro. One scenario that may happen is that they announce an update and you find out you can buy the old model (which is what you have on order now) for AU$300 less then expected and still get it by the 11th.
 

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
1,505
18
Paddyland
Sometimes they give money off if you ring up to cancel the order, as a way to keep the order. You could get a current one cheaper (just to thow another variable into the pot)
 

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
1,554
0
Nelson, BC. Canada
j26 said:
Sometimes they give money off if you ring up to cancel the order, as a way to keep the order. You could get a current one cheaper (just to thow another variable into the pot)
This happened to me when I cancelled my original iMac G5 Rev.B order, when the iMac G5 iSight was announced... they offered CDN$300 discount... I took the iSight model instead.
 

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
3,566
95
Just rang up and cancelled my order didn't offer any discounts :( So guess I'm waiting again for merom! LOL
 

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
1,505
18
Paddyland
It was the right choice - if you're unsure about spending that much cash, it's better off to hold. Meroms will be out soon, so just think of all that fun coming soon.








P.S. You might want to change your sig.
 

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
3,566
95
j26 said:
It was the right choice - if you're unsure about spending that much cash, it's better off to hold. Meroms will be out soon, so just think of all that fun coming soon.








P.S. You might want to change your sig.
I'm just thinking ahead :D
 

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
3,566
95
I went to the department store today (Myers in Aus) to have a look at screens definitely going the glossy and asked the guy about merom. He said they wont be in Apples for another 12 months? :confused:
 

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
19,269
30
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Argh- if all you are doing is basic web surfing, chat, dvd, etc. then there was really no reason to cancel the order. I decided not to wait about 5 minutes after the [pathetic] keynote ended and no merom MBP announced. I went to the apple store and bought the 15' glossy, and have no regrets. In the previously mentioned areas, I can't see any significant performance gain- unless the extra .2 seconds when loading a flash game really matters to you.
 

quruli

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
154
0
miles01110 said:
Argh- if all you are doing is basic web surfing, chat, dvd, etc. then there was really no reason to cancel the order. I decided not to wait about 5 minutes after the [pathetic] keynote ended and no merom MBP announced. I went to the apple store and bought the 15' glossy, and have no regrets. In the previously mentioned areas, I can't see any significant performance gain- unless the extra .2 seconds when loading a flash game really matters to you.
Who exactly are you trying to convince?
 

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
1,725
0
The Buyer's Guide has the MBP listed out at 114 days. Apple updates their portable line twice a year so its already 4 months into the 6 month upgrade cycle. I would buy refurbished in the Apple Store or check on Craigslist for better deals and you don't have to pay taxes.

You could buy MBP now and resell when you get the Meroms (no guarantee of that either) and absorb the tax/depreciation whatever. You'll be out more than just buying slightly used.
 

teerexx52

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2005
1,973
98
Florida West Coast
miles01110 said:
Argh- if all you are doing is basic web surfing, chat, dvd, etc. then there was really no reason to cancel the order. I decided not to wait about 5 minutes after the [pathetic] keynote ended and no merom MBP announced. I went to the apple store and bought the 15' glossy, and have no regrets. In the previously mentioned areas, I can't see any significant performance gain- unless the extra .2 seconds when loading a flash game really matters to you.
I did exactly the same thing when they were not announced
 

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
977
9
Boston, MA
On the rare cases when you challenge your computer, it will be faster with the new processor. 64-bit may help you in the future, how much no one can say. Waiting is tough, but I say wait. You will not regret waiting, but you may regret not waiting. No way Apple will wait until next year to use Merom. No way.
 

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
765
0
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
viccles said:
I went to the department store today (Myers in Aus) to have a look at screens definitely going the glossy and asked the guy about merom. He said they wont be in Apples for another 12 months? :confused:
When you get your MBP with a Merom in three weeks, go back to the store and beat him with it.

From what I've read, a Merom will be 20% faster and use less power. And yeah, 64-bit could be a big bonus, hard to say right now.
 

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
3,566
95
According to Macworld magazine they say end of August. Oh god please be right this waiting is killing me!
 

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
3,566
95
Ok ive changed my mind (AGAIN) and gone the MBP with matte screen. Will be here Monday not changing my mind and I'm happy with my decision
 

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
1,653
9
Birmingham, England
quruli said:
Who exactly are you trying to convince?
It really doesn't matter. The MBP is a damn good machine as it is now. With merom in it, I have no doubt there will be performance gains. However, what happens when you buy a merom MBP and then Apple refreshes the range after a few months with faster processors? What if they release Merom MBPs in a month and then two months later release Merom MBPs with a sexy new design?

You never know what's round the corner and progress never halts so you're never going to be able to stay ahead of the game for long.

Should I buy a G4/G5 or wait for Intel was a whole different question. Should I buy Intel or wait for faster/better Intel is something you could be asking yourself every month from now until the end of time!
 

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
3,566
95
nomad01 said:
It really doesn't matter. The MBP is a damn good machine as it is now. With merom in it, I have no doubt there will be performance gains. However, what happens when you buy a merom MBP and then Apple refreshes the range after a few months with faster processors? What if they release Merom MBPs in a month and then two months later release Merom MBPs with a sexy new design?

You never know what's round the corner and progress never halts so you're never going to be able to stay ahead of the game for long.

Should I buy a G4/G5 or wait for Intel was a whole different question. Should I buy Intel or wait for faster/better Intel is something you could be asking yourself every month from now until the end of time!
Yep I could wait no longer and for what I use the computer for its more than enough and I dont envisage using it for more down the track (And I can always assess the situation down the track as well!)
 

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
1,653
9
Birmingham, England
viccles said:
Yep I could wait no longer and for what I use the computer for its more than enough and I dont envisage using it for more down the track (And I can always assess the situation down the track as well!)
Glad to hear it. Whatever, machine you buy I'm sure you'll be overjoyed to own an Apple machine.

The MB and MBP are very sexy machines.