Tempted yet?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by profmatt, Dec 4, 2016.

1. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

In common with many users of this forum I have the mental illness known as "Apple upgrade obsession". It's why Apple is a billion dollar company.

I've firmly convinced myself that buying a 13-inch touch bar MBP would be a mistake. It has -- at best -- mixed reviews. Battery life is a serious worry. As are screen issues. I don't care about ports. I'm intrigued about the touch bar itself, but would admit that to no-one. I like the look of the keyboard. And the dark grey.

There's no way I could justify buying one, when I have an early 2015 MBP.

But I saw one for the first time in real life last week and I kinda want one anyway.

Anyone else tempted? Do you think you'll crack? I'm trying so hard to wait for the next version of it.

2. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I became tempted after three minutes of playing with one. If I got one, I'd only really be losing the storage space of my mid-2012's 1TB hard drive. Everything else would be an upgrade. Too bad my 2012 still runs great.

3. campyguy macrumors 68040

Yes, tempted. I have friends who work for Intel and suppliers for my engineering company who tell me what's up from time to time. I want to upgrade some of my PC/Mac hardware to the new interface, in part due to subcontractors & clients that come in with hardware that has the newer USB-C interface - I have to react, in part, to the people that want and buy new toys and not look like I'm "stuck" in the past with old hardware. That, and a lot of my Macs are nearing the end of their 3-year-long warranty. Gah!

One of my suppliers keeps pushing the new stuff, as she wants new sales and I can't fault her for that. She shot me an email on Friday that included a link to DigiTimes and AI news portals, I'm sure with the intent of putting ideas of buying stuff in my head (she succeeded!).

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20161130PD203.html
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/16...o-debut-at-januarys-consumer-electronics-show

Those two links pretty much backed up what she related a few months ago, to wait for the new chips - despite having sales goals for this FY. I've got to give her props for taking the long road to make one of her clients a happy camper. Besides, I have bought a few PCs/iMacs/rMBPs that were "Rev 0" machines and was burned more times than not - I'll *NEVER* buy a first edition computer again.

TL;DR - yes, tempted, but waiting for Rev A....

4. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

What are the chances of Apple sticking an OLED screen in new macs in the next year or two?

5. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Really simple. If you want it and you can afford it - get it. You don't have to justify it.

As for the "Kaby Lake MBPs are just around the corner" thing - there will always be something better coming soon. Get what's available now if you need it or want it.

However, if you don't really want it, your 2015 MBP is still an amazing computer.

6. motime macrumors 6502

No temptation here at all given all the issues propping up and the performance statistics overall. The touch bar is a total gimmick and I really do hope they offer a non touch bar 15 inch version in the next iteration.

7. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Fixed your post :)

8. motime macrumors 6502

You didn't need to, it is implied.