Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ten One Design is today introducing the Mountie+, a new version of its popular Mountie device that allows an iPad or iPhone to be attached to the display of a Mac laptop for use as a second screen.

mountie1.jpg

The Mountie+ mount for the iPad has been designed with larger devices in mind. Mountie+ uses a two-clip system to attach an iPhone or iPad to a MacBook, and it works with all iPad Pro, iPad Air, and iPad mini tablets. It's also compatible with all MacBooks and "every other laptop," according to Ten One Design. The standard Mountie, which is also still available, works well with smaller tablets and the iPhone.

mountie2.jpg

Mountie+ also incorporates a new feature that allows an iPad to be charged while it's attached to a MacBook, by tucking the iPad's charging cable around the back where it can then be plugged in to an adapter. It's designed to make it quick and easy to snap an iPad on and off of the MacBook.

mountie3.jpg

When attached to a MacBook via Mountie+, there's only 4mm of space between the iPad and the MacBook screen, making it easy to see both displays at once. Mountie+ lets the iPad be mounted in either landscape or portrait mode.
"Remote working and co-working is growing; we can see that trend as our customers look to use their iPads and other portable devices as second or even third screens," said Peter Skinner, founder of Ten One Design. "Even if it's just for watching Stranger Things. We don't judge."
The Mountie+ can be pre-ordered from the Ten One Design website for $34.95. It will begin shipping out in December.

Article Link: Ten One Design's New Mountie+ Lets You Mount Your iPad to Your MacBook as a Second Screen

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
Soooooooo, can someone explain to me why you wouldn't just buy 1 or 2 monitors instead of this monstrosity?
I guess it might make sense if you're on the move with both the iPad and the MacBook. The monitors aren't portable. But at home or at the office I agree that a monitor makes a lot more sense!

Reactions: Will.O.Bie

Architect4122

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2007
Actually, mounting your phone to the top of the screen makes a lot of sense and might not be too heavy.

But what’s the prefered software strategy for using an iPad as a second screen these days?

I use Duet: https://www.duetdisplay.com

In this case you would use it connected/wired to the laptop. There is an option to use it over Wifi, but that increases lag. While I haven't used a/this clip, I have used my iPad as extra display for tool pallets and Messenger/Mail. (I work in either AutoCAD, ArchiCAD, VectorWorks, Rhino, or SketchUp ... so maximizing model space is welcomed when on the go)

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
Not to mention the added mental clutter that 3–5 additional screens (all displaying different things) will likely effect.

multitasking.jpg

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I use Duet: https://www.duetdisplay.com

In this case you would use it connected/wired to the laptop. There is an option to use it over Wifi, but that increases lag. While I haven't used a/this clip, I have used my iPad as extra display for tool pallets and Messenger/Mail. (I work in either AutoCAD, ArchiCAD, VectorWorks, Rhino, or SketchUp ... so maximizing model space is welcomed when on the go)

Have you seen Astropad? You can even use Mac apps on your iPad.
They also have a kickstarter campaign on another new 2nd display product Luna

Reactions: riverfreak

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Wow, I really like that wallpaper in the first image! Does anyone know where I can find it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.