Ten One Design's New Mountie+ Lets You Mount Your iPad to Your MacBook as a Second Screen

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 14, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Ten One Design is today introducing the Mountie+, a new version of its popular Mountie device that allows an iPad or iPhone to be attached to the display of a Mac laptop for use as a second screen.

[​IMG]

The Mountie+ mount for the iPad has been designed with larger devices in mind. Mountie+ uses a two-clip system to attach an iPhone or iPad to a MacBook, and it works with all iPad Pro, iPad Air, and iPad mini tablets. It's also compatible with all MacBooks and "every other laptop," according to Ten One Design. The standard Mountie, which is also still available, works well with smaller tablets and the iPhone.

[​IMG]

Mountie+ also incorporates a new feature that allows an iPad to be charged while it's attached to a MacBook, by tucking the iPad's charging cable around the back where it can then be plugged in to an adapter. It's designed to make it quick and easy to snap an iPad on and off of the MacBook.

[​IMG]

When attached to a MacBook via Mountie+, there's only 4mm of space between the iPad and the MacBook screen, making it easy to see both displays at once. Mountie+ lets the iPad be mounted in either landscape or portrait mode.
    The Mountie+ can be pre-ordered from the Ten One Design website for $34.95. It will begin shipping out in December.

Article Link: Ten One Design's New Mountie+ Lets You Mount Your iPad to Your MacBook as a Second Screen

2. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

This will be awesome when the new iPads have less bezels!

3. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

4. somethingelsefl macrumors 6502

somethingelsefl

The first photo is the clearest evidence that future has arrived... And it's wonderfully absurd

5. seecoolguy macrumors regular

seecoolguy

I blame you Jony Ive... this is what happens when you let dongles happen!

6. cloudness macrumors member

Seems like a gadget that would cause premature failure to the MacBook's hinge...

7. alansaysstop macrumors regular

My first thought was, "Well, that extra weight can't be good for the hinge..."

8. McBeresford macrumors regular

McBeresford

9. gpat macrumors 6502a

This sounds like a terrible idea for the hinge.

10. Romy90210 macrumors 6502

11. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

Soooooooo, can someone explain to me why you wouldn't just buy 1 or 2 monitors instead of this monstrosity?

12. Glmnet1 macrumors member

I guess it might make sense if you're on the move with both the iPad and the MacBook. The monitors aren't portable. But at home or at the office I agree that a monitor makes a lot more sense!

13. riverfreak macrumors demi-god

riverfreak

It opens up an entirely new market for hinge enhancers.

14. spazzcat macrumors 68020

spazzcat

Dongles are a bandaid until everything is usb-c...

15. riverfreak macrumors demi-god

riverfreak

Actually, mounting your phone to the top of the screen makes a lot of sense and might not be too heavy.

But what’s the prefered software strategy for using an iPad as a second screen these days?

16. satchmo macrumors 68000

Obsolete.
    iOS devices gaining hovering capabilities in 2018 according to Kuo Chi Ming. ;)

17. lunarworks Suspended

They also make iPad stands that accomplish the exact same thing without being attached to your laptop screen.

18. Architect4122 macrumors regular

I use Duet: https://www.duetdisplay.com

In this case you would use it connected/wired to the laptop. There is an option to use it over Wifi, but that increases lag. While I haven't used a/this clip, I have used my iPad as extra display for tool pallets and Messenger/Mail. (I work in either AutoCAD, ArchiCAD, VectorWorks, Rhino, or SketchUp ... so maximizing model space is welcomed when on the go)

19. whyamihere macrumors 6502

whyamihere

Wow, mister moneybags in that photo there... $175 worth of mounties! Show off!

20. Xavier macrumors 68020

21. trusso macrumors regular

Not to mention the added mental clutter that 3–5 additional screens (all displaying different things) will likely effect.

[​IMG]

22. satchmo macrumors 68000

Have you seen Astropad? You can even use Mac apps on your iPad.
    They also have a kickstarter campaign on another new 2nd display product Luna

23. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Wow, I really like that wallpaper in the first image! Does anyone know where I can find it?

24. brushlee macrumors newbie

They should use 3 mounties - 2 to attach and 1 "retractable" to reach the table/surface to keep hinge strain away...:rolleyes:

25. NufSaid macrumors regular

NufSaid

Can this get worst design of the year?

My iPad Pro would snap the screen on my MacBook Pro. Nice idea. #cantFightPhysics