Ten Reasons for July 24th for iMac/Mac Mini update

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by mathwhiz90601, Jul 14, 2007.

1. mathwhiz90601 macrumors 6502

mathwhiz90601

It's going to be July 24th:

1) Intel drops its processor (at least, desktop processor) prices on the 22nd.
    -UPDATE- or one of the newly announced chips !!!!
    2) $100 off your printer with a mac :apple: deal ends the 23rd.
    3) Discount on .Mac :apple: promo ends the 23rd.
    4) Best buy coupon off iPods deal ends the 23rd.
    5) There is sufficient time after iPhone to prevent interference.
    6) There is sufficient time before school to get back to school sales.
    7) Several of :apple:s products will have newly set records for longest time between updates by then, particularly the iMac (which means we're getting something good; the previous record for iMac was set before they introduced the G5 iMac) and the Mac Mini.
    8) Several stores are running out of :apple: products.
    9) It won't interfere with Leopard; either :apple: will force consumers to pay for both, have a discount on a later Leopard purchase as they've done before, or :eek: release Leopard early (suprise!).

And lastly....

10) July 24th is a Tuesday. :apple: usually releases on Tuesday or Wednesday.

It will happen. July 24th. It is coming.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hhhhmm not bad not bad. youve done your research. i tend to agree with you. i hope your right mate. ill be so happy :)

3. Mac.Jnr macrumors member

I hope your right! The iMac needs to be updated quick. Apple should not lose focus as a company, next thing you know Apple starts making iCar and iFridges :) iPhone is all cool and that but don't forget YOU MAKE COMPUTERS TOO! So hopefully July 24th!

4. john2006wright macrumors regular

If its the 24th, apple must be announcing some sort of event very soon? How else would they unveil it?

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

6. superlatic macrumors regular

last september they used a special event to launch the then updated imacs, think the event was sept 12th, apple sent out the invites on sept 5th, 1 week before

tues 24th would be nice and definately plausible but im still going for either tues 31/7 or wed 1/8

7. mathwhiz90601 thread starter macrumors 6502

mathwhiz90601

That means I'll be confirmed or denied on the 17th... only a few days :D

8. superlatic macrumors regular

well my bday falls on the 16th so that would be a niceish bday pressie :)

9. emozolik macrumors newbie

Let me be a devils advocate and offer some counter-points if i may:
    1) i thought the iMac used a laptop processor? I dont think a drop in desktop prices will help any
    2-4) I've watched these deals for the past year now. All were available when i bought my macbook in Sept. 2006. All three have been offered consistently for the past 12 months if memory serves me right. Apple will probably just renew the promo.
    5-6) it has been sufficient time. But quite frankly that is just someones personal observation. It would have made more sense to update the iMac BEFORE the iphone came out as i am sure traffic in the Apple stores has increased since late June.
    7) yes, several of them are about to set new records, but your reasoning implies Apple cares, which we have no idea if they do or not.
    8) stock might be running low because of the back-to-school sale.
    9) I highly doubt a Leopard early release. I dont recall a time when Apple did release early after setting a date. Coordinating the new macs with the leopard release makes the most sense to me, but thats debatable.
    10) July 24th is a Tuesday! But there are a lot of Tuesdays left in the year.

Now dont get my wrong, I would love to see some kind of upgrade here, and soon! I would love to see some price drops and maybe some new graphics chipsets amongst other things. With the sale on and the new OS around the corner though, i just dont see it happening. Which stinks on a personal level, as come September I am buying an iMac regardless to take advantage of the sale. I work for a college and my wife is going to grad school. How can i pass up $200 off that 80gb ipod ive wanted??

10. driver.joe macrumors newbie

Please Say it's SO!!!

I have been waiting since January to make the switch from PC to Mac.
    July 24 is great if true but anything before September is good. I hope they at least include the new iLife. :D

11. mathwhiz90601 thread starter macrumors 6502

mathwhiz90601

Maybe they'll finally give the iMacs desktop power. They can do it; see what they did to fit G5's in there....

Quite possibly on the first two; but the third I know hasn't ever been done by Best Buy before.

Maybe it would have been, if they had the new ones ready, no iPhone hype to stoke, and no new laptops... but now they don't have those three, and they can use the iPhone's popularity to get people to consider an iMac in a "Why not get a superior computer to go with your superior phone?" way.

They do. SJ said something to the effect of "those who really care about software should make their own hardware".

Early release was just a wild guess; I give it a 1% chance of happening. If the iMacs and Leopard came at the same time, it'd be too much to coordinate. Plus it would leave the iMac line in considerable neglect in the meanwhile...

That it will be a Tuesday is simply confirmation that the date affirmed by the other evidence is a possible launch date. They've never launched on a Thursday, to my knowledge, for example.

12. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

There's obviously varying opinions, but let me say, kudos to you! You definitely did your homework, and I hope you're right!

NickD

13. paetrick macrumors regular

ME vote for a new iMac late this year, the local Apple store have more than 20 iMac's of all models in stock...

14. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

3 days before my Birthday! I sure hope they do! hehe.

15. mathwhiz90601 thread starter macrumors 6502

mathwhiz90601

Thanks.

Last september, with the last update, I was ready to get one, but my iMac was working reasonably well (the keyboard hadn't died yet) and Leopard was around the corner, so I decided to wait. Thought new ones in about March. If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought immediately.

16. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I hope so, I would hate to go to sleep on the 23rd and wake up to the 25th!

(BTW: Stargate SG-1 Season 10 on DVD is out that day!)

17. paetrick macrumors regular

Seriously, the imac wont come WITHOUT a big presentation, and the only one near us now are in September.

18. superlatic macrumors regular

september is too long

if apple were planning to launch the new imacs in sept/oct then the imacs would have had a macbook type slight bump in specs.

leaving it till september/october would mean over 12 months without any form of update, and apple would also miss the back to school buyers.

it will be early aug at the absolute latest, and like last yr, apple could easilly announce a special event at a weeks notice. Last yr apple announced a special event on sept 5th for sept 12th, thought at the time to be the date where new imacs would be announced.

the new imacs were anounced a day after on wed 6/9/2006

19. paetrick macrumors regular

I wish you were right, but your argument doesn't hold, if Apple love us students so much, why did they release the last iMac update in september?

Now when they got the whole world's attention on the iPhone, the new iMac isn't really "needed" right now :( Hate the iPhone sucess !!! - as well as the iPhone is to be released soon in Europe.

iMac will as soonest be announced in september, but it will probably be released in october or ever later.. >_< beh want the iMac now... maybe buying the "current" iMac isn't that bad of an idea.

20. torrid30 macrumors member

I just keep hoping for the Late July/Early August release so I can get it before school, or I'll have to decide getting the current model (so I'm ready for school) or hold out and get the new model (and get by the first, second, etc. months without a computer). And I don't know if I can do that. :(

21. superlatic macrumors regular

yes but there wasnt 12 months between the sept 06 update and the previous one

and in the same way you say the new imac isnt needed, same could have been said about the mbp but they introduced that. Leaving the imac without any form of update or price drop over 12 months would be criminal, indeed many on here would say at the mo re mac pro and imac paying 2006 prices for 2006 technology is criminal, so in this sense it most certainly is needed!!!!

and i would sort of agree with you if the stock levels of the current imac were plentiful, which at the moment, they aint, well not in the uk anyway

mac warehouse completely sold out
    apple store now showing 4 day shipping time on stock 24"
    amazon showing availability in 1-3 weeks on both 20 and 24" model
    play.com cut the price of 24" model
    pc world showing availability as collect in store, which usually means low stock levels.

apple insider have stuck by the timeframe of late july-august and they have been right about a few things recently eg no new hardware at WWDC so i would be inclined to believe them again

if we have no new imacs by mid aug then i guess i owe you an apology :)

22. paetrick macrumors regular

If the resellers can't get the iMac in stock, we would know for sure that the iMac is comning -soon-(cause the resellers would obviously know that something is going on when they can't get more imac's to their store)

but that isn't the case. Here in Sweden there's 24 hour delivery on every iMac except the 24" one which got 4 days (probably cause it doesn't sell as much as the cheaper models)

-The local applestore got over 20 iMac of each model in stock as well... I can promise you that the new iMac wont be released until september.

23. superlatic macrumors regular

delivery was also 24 hours on the MBP's right up to before they were updated

24. paetrick macrumors regular

Exactly the delivery time doesn't say anything :mad:

The big "no way" is that an apple computer never has been released without being presented on a big presentation...

25. superlatic macrumors regular

in terms of a big update, as in a redesign, or big update like g4-g5 you are right.

however, last year as i mentioned, apple announced a special event at 1 weeks notice (although word got round a bit before).

the same could be done this time round.

i personally think if apple was to release the new imacs in sept, the current line would have received a silent bump in may/jun, 8 months or so after the september o6 update, as 13 months is a long long time to leave a computer without any form of update/ price drop